rocker arm rattle at start-up

Old 11-29-08, 08:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
rocker arm rattle at start-up

I`m working on a 2000 Chevy siverado 4.3 149,000 mi.
Every time I start it after it sits for a while I can hear maybe two rockers that rattle on bank two side of the engine. After it warms up it almost goes away and sometimes it goes away completely. checked torque on bolts and they seem ok. Do I need lifters.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-08, 10:08 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
The problem is likely at the lifters. They usually wear and leak down when idle. Sometimes they just need cleaning with a good engine flush. That is what I would try first - an engine flush, then change oil and add something like Sea Foam or Marvel Mystery Oil.

If that doesn't do it, check your oil pressure to make sure you're feeding enough pressure to them. A hydraulic lifter is actually a hydraulic ratchet that relies on pressure to maintain its tolerances.

If all else is well, you may have to change the lifters. If they are cupped as well as leaking think about a new cam as well. Normally that is a good practice - the cam and lifters together.

Old 11-29-08, 10:05 PM
I had the same truck. It had only about 60,000 miles. The lifters would do the same thing for the first 2 or 3 sec. after start up. Only did it when it was cold. It did it for the whole 3 years I owned the truck.
I talked to Chevy, and they told me they were working on the problem. It was still under warranty, and they said they were going to fix it. So much for that.
There must have been more than just mine and yours that had this problem.
I have sense sold the truck.

Old 11-30-08, 10:42 AM
Even though it had`nt been long since oil cahange, I drained a1 1/2 quarts of oil and replaced it with GUNK Engine Flush , let it idle for 30 min. and did oil change. Seems to have worked. I will repete the proccess in about 1000 miles just to be sure.

Old 11-30-08, 03:55 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by reyes45 View Post
Even though it had`nt been long since oil cahange, I drained a1 1/2 quarts of oil and replaced it with GUNK Engine Flush , let it idle for 30 min. and did oil change. Seems to have worked. I will repete the proccess in about 1000 miles just to be sure.
For information. Trans fluid is a better cleaning agent than oil. I will sometimes add 1 pt. to an oil change if I have a lifter/rocker arm problem. Cleans out the varnish. Always use a detergent oil.