O2 sensor

Old 11-29-08, 09:48 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
O2 sensor

The O2 is showing up on the list of ways to save gas and a replacement recommended at about every 30K miles. Sales pitch, Scam or what?

This thing can and does waste gas when it is defective. If you have no check engine light and therefore no codes, how do you know what it's doing? Is there a way to test it? It is extremely delicate and can be destroyed by a multi meter.

Am I misinformed?

hefe

Old 11-29-08, 09:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Don't fix what aint broke. If an O2 is defective, it will throw a check engine light.

Old 11-29-08, 10:56 AM
H
O2 Sensor

Thanks Mark. I agree. If it ain't broke you can't fix it. This question came up over my grandsons Jeep. He came home from college on one tank, 284 mi. all Interstate. but took three to get back. Jeep specialty shop near school diagnosed crack in exhaust manifold causing excess oxygen to confuse O2. After very little use for two months, and without repair, he gambled and came home again. Used about one tank as before. Lately I have seen auto parts ads recommending a routine change of the O2 at about 30K as a gas saving measure. Sounds like bathing a skunk in expensive soap. It ain't gonna work.

I did find a web site this AM that explains and answers my questions. Seems you can test the thing but a little like telling your wife where you were last night. You got to be real careful.

Thanks again

hefe

Old 11-30-08, 02:12 PM
test by heating with a propane torch, measure with a digital voltmeter, do not run voltage through it that will ruin it instantly. the voltage should run over 1 volt with it glowing red.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: