Brake Fluid

Old 12-01-08, 11:12 AM
Question Brake Fluid

I read somewhere (probably my manual) that when adding brake fuid you should do so from an unopened container. Apparentlly a previously opened container can absorb moisture. Is this fact or a scare tactic?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-08, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator
It shouldn't have been sitting opened on the shelf for 2-3 yrs. If the cap was screwed on tight, it should be fine for a couple of years. Says right on the bottle, keep cap tightly closed to prevent moisture absorption.

Who's gonna use a whole bottle just for top-offs? Maybe a brake bleed and flush, but not for normal maintenance.

Old 12-01-08, 11:31 AM
Well, I feel it goes without saying that you would screw the top on tight for storage. So you are saying it has about a 2-3 year shelf life once it has been opened and stored properly?

Old 12-01-08, 11:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I always buy 1qt at a time, use it as needed and replace when empty. I've never noticed any problems although I doubt I've ever had a qt last 2-3 yrs.

Old 12-01-08, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator
Well, now that I have newer cars that don't have leaks..lol... I buy the small bottles and they're good for at least 2 years.

I mean, what are they, $2 maybe? After 2 years the fluid in the system is in much worse shape than the stuff in the can.

Old 12-01-08, 12:09 PM
I found 3 containers of brake fluid in the garage. 2 opened, 1 not. Just to be safe I used the unopened one and then dated it. I am going to now see if I can recycle the opened ones. Who knows how old they are.

Old 12-01-08, 07:33 PM
the fluid is flammable so if you can't recycle it you can just burn it, fire starter or any old thing. brake fluid will adsorb water from the air, if you live in a low humidity environment the life of the fluid will be longer than a high humidity environment. i flush my brakes at least every 2 years to help keep them working properly.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 12-02-08, 10:00 PM
The quart sized plastic bottles can be 'squeezed’ when screwing on the cap to keep air out. Brake fluid does absorb water, which can boil at high temperatures. Track junkies change fluid frequently to prevent brake fade (and soiled trousers…) at the end of a long straight… Most owners’ manuals promote changing brake fluid every two years. Few people I suspect actually do…

Old 12-03-08, 07:40 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by erica View Post
I read somewhere (probably my manual) that when adding brake fuid you should do so from an unopened container. Apparentlly a previously opened container can absorb moisture. Is this fact or a scare tactic?
FACT!!!!! As stated, probably no one worries about it. I keep it too long, but I don't buy a large bottle either. Never have drained/replaced brake fluid in a vehicle but that doesn't mean I shouldn't! My 2cents!!

Old 12-03-08, 08:50 AM
Red face

Brake fluid should be flushed every 30k or 2 years. It attracts moisture, and HELLO... that causes rust. If you have ever had to replace your ABS pump at the tune of $1300.00, you would remember to flush that fluid. It just makes sense that flushing the fluid will help. You can't compress water you know...
Erica, adding brake fluid is an indication that you may have a leak, or the brake pads are wearing out. Either way, you should take it to your TRUSTED mechanic for a inspection.

Old 12-03-08, 08:59 AM
Guess maybe I should have it checked out. This is for a 2005 Corolla that has 13,000 miles on it. It had 4800 miles on it when I bought it in 2006. No previous owners outside of the dealer. It is Toyota certified and is still under warranty.

Old 12-03-08, 09:15 AM
18,000 miles seems early to be due for brake pad replacement. It just seems odd that at 18k, certified used car, dealer maintained, that it should need ANYTHING!!!
Have the dealer check maintenance records for the brake fluid flush. If it has not been done, it's time.
Do yourself a favor. Call around and get prices on this service. In Arizona, the prices go from $39.99 for a complete flush and brake inspection to $115.99 at other places (dealers). Trust your mechanic. DON'T just go to the dealer because the last owner did!