$632 Leaky Valve Cover Gasket Repair on 2004 Infinit FX35

Old 12-01-08, 04:33 PM
$632 Leaky Valve Cover Gasket Repair on 2004 Infinit FX35

We take the FX to the dealer to have the plugs changed. Dealer tells us (this is wife's car not mine and was not present) that the valve covers are leaking and can seep up due to pressure and cause a short ignition wires or coil packs and cause engine failure or misfile.

It get's better. The service technician\salesperson states that in order to repair the valve cover gasket, she has to order new set steel covers because the gasket is embeded in the cover.

I know for a fact covers are always re-used. Also on mult-valve engines the covers are usually cast aluminuim. Has anyone changed the valve cover gaskets on this car??? I will call the parts department and see what the parts costs. Just doesn't make sense.

Valve covers are always re-used.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-08, 04:38 PM
Group Moderator
Are you in snow country, because I smell a snow job.

Gaskets $18.99 @ AutoZone:

http://www.autozone.com/N,15100524//...eResultSet.htm

If it was me I would have a one-on-one with either the Service Manager or the General Manager.

Old 12-01-08, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Are you in snow country, because I smell a snow job.
Lol...who are you telling!!

Old 12-01-08, 05:33 PM
I will tell you that I just looked up the auto zone repair guide that TG sent and if it is the 3.5 lt engine at the bottom I would say that is about right for a dealer repair of that item, also note that sometimes the cast alumimum covers will be warped enough that you can not reuse them. used to be rare but i would think with all of the attempts to save weight more common today than in the past. if you read the guide it is a multi hour repair. my gut feeling is at least 4-5 hr. in the manuel.

if we're not supposed to eat animals why are they made out of meat?

Old 12-02-08, 05:11 AM
Group Moderator
I confess I didn't look up the procedure and I'm sure you're right since getting valve covers off nowadays is nothing like it was on my '64 Buick Special. Still, I think $600+ is a little steep, although about right @ dealership prices. Also the explanation that the gaskets are embedded in the covers is pretty weird.

Search this Thread