1999 Pontiac Sunbird - Car quites due to bad Engine mounts

Old 12-01-08, 05:39 PM
1999 Pontiac Sunbird - Car quites due to bad Engine mounts

Mother in-law car quites on her. She is told the car won't start due to bad motor mounts.

I know this sounds silly because broken mounts has nothing to do with ignition or fuel delivery system. The engine should just flop around in the bay.

Has anyone heard any wierd issues of broken mounts?

Thanks,

Don

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-08, 05:45 PM
Group Moderator
I would be asking for a lot more clarification on the explanation. This isn't the same garage that's trying to sell you the $600 valve cover gasket job, is it?

Old 12-01-08, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
I would be asking for a lot more clarification on the explanation. This isn't the same garage that's trying to sell you the $600 valve cover gasket job, is it?
No ...the FX is being serviced at the dealer locally.

The Pontiac is in another state. Only relation is the mother and daughter.

Old 12-01-08, 05:58 PM
Group Moderator
I'm thinking something got lost in the translation.

Old 12-01-08, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
I'm thinking something got lost in the translation.
I'm trying to gleam more information but mom went to bed early.

I have removed and put in engines also worked in machine shops. They are independant women, I'm trying to show my wife she doesn't have to rely on every thing the dealer\mechanic tells them.

Old 12-01-08, 06:15 PM
the only reason that a mount could cause engine dieing would be loss of engine ground, crimping fuel line thus cutting of fuel delivery, or contacting some type of electrical component thus shorting the system. or if the distrubtor is in the wrong place when the engine torques it pushes against something and looses spark,

when i was in highschool my vehicle was a 1965 barracuda that i managed to break the right hand motor mount on and when i took off to hard from a stop the engine would torque up and push the distributor (small block mopar) against the fire wall thus either cracking the distrubtor cap or pushing it over enough to break the rotor inside the cap, instant either shut down of the engine or massive missfire. unfortunatly the vehicle was old enough that no one manufactured mounts for it and i had to weld up a broken mount to be able to drive it after that.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies.

Old 12-02-08, 10:28 AM
believe it or not this happens more than you would think, when the engine torques it can pull wires just enough to loose contact or can cause the air box or hoses to come off

Old 12-02-08, 07:03 PM
Seems to me that years ago Blazer or Jimmys stalled when turning a either left or right because the leaning engine put stress on the ground connection.