Floor jack won't pick up a load...

Old 12-04-08, 09:22 AM
Floor jack won't pick up a load...

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes...

I was recently given an older (maybe 15 years old) Allied Hydraulic 2-ton floor jack (orange frame, white handle). None of the labeling indicates foreign manufacture, but it wouldn't surprise me. Anyway, the jack will raise when the handle is pumped without a load on it, but it takes less than my body weight (200 lbs., more or less) to overcome the hydraulics, and it won't lift a load at all. As there is no fluid visible at any of the external fittings after it leaks down, I suspect the failure of an internal seal, primarily at the ram. Might anybody know of a source for repair parts for such a jack? Given the price of admission, I would hate to scrap the jack without even trying to make it work. Your help is, as always, greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance - Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-08, 05:59 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the seals in it are a common size and available through a supply house for hydraulics. If you had the seal out you want to replace, and it could just be an "O" ring, you may be able to match it from a selection of seals.

Before you tear it apart, though, I would check the relief valve on it that lets it down. It may be partially open or leaking.

Old 12-05-08, 05:47 AM
Thanks for the input, marbobj. I didn't think of the relief valve since it will lift its own weight. A little-baby leak would flow faster with more pressure (weight) on it, though, it would seem. I'll give that a try before I manufacture a 2-3/16" wrench to remove the ram! Thanks again - Chris

Old 12-26-08, 01:53 PM
Any update on this? I have the same Allied jack model HDJA, orange with a white handle. It has served me well and I'd like to fix it. The jack lifts but stops when you put a load on it. I didn't notice any fluid leaks but what I did was jack it up as high as it would go and then add fluid until it lifted all of the way with no load. Unfortunately it is still no good and won't lift with a load on it.

Old 11-09-10, 12:47 PM
allied hydraulic jack

Just rebuilt my allied hydraulic 2 ton jack, orange with white handle. took about an hour. Take the rear wheels off, to get the block off the frame. two large slot screws either side of the raise lower spindle. Down in the hole you will find the "O" rings. Amazing I had kept the rebuild kit from the original purchase. The "O" rings look common to me most likely available at a local auto parts store. Good luck and watch your fingers!!

Old 11-09-10, 03:27 PM
Darn it! I junked mine. It took me a long time to find one that was comperable but finally did at Franks Auto Supermarket, I have had it a while now and it is as good as the previous Allied.