HELP 4.3L has tons of white smoke

Old 12-04-08, 12:42 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Exclamation HELP 4.3L has tons of white smoke

My 1992 jimmy ran bad one day last week at idle and I thought I smelled antifreeze whlie driving. the engine wouldnt turn over at all today and it finaly let loose and started. After about 2min tons of white smoke came out the tail pipe and it smelled like antifreeze.

Does anyone have any idea on what the problem is or how I figure out what it is? I was thinking head gasket but thats just a guess.

Old 12-04-08, 02:53 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I also say head gasket. (I need 25 characters)

Old 12-04-08, 03:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yep, gotta be a blown head gasket.

Old 12-04-08, 06:25 PM
W
I agree with the head gasket diagnosis. The engine sieze up was likely the result of coolant in the cylinders. Be sure to check that the pistons come all the way to the top of the cylinder, attempting to turn the motor over with water in the holes can sometimes bend the connecting rods.

Old 12-05-08, 05:53 AM
O
Head gasket seems real likely. Check the oil for a milky appearance or foamy consistency, and a higher-than-full level, though, as this would point to cracked cylinder/s and/or head/s.

Old 12-05-08, 06:27 AM
I checked the oil right away, I figured if coolant was filling a cylinder it may get into the oil but it was clean.

Old 12-05-08, 07:44 AM
M
head gasket

I also say a head gasket. How is the fluid level in the radiatior? You could do a compression test and see for sure.

Old 12-05-08, 02:14 PM
After I drove home the day it started running bad I checked it and I had to add about 1/2 gallon of coolant.

Also while driving the temp gauge would go up and down, I wonder if when a exhaust bubble would get on the sensor it would drop. I guess Im going to have to tear into it.

Old 12-06-08, 06:54 AM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by michaeljp86
After I drove home the day it started running bad I checked it and I had to add about 1/2 gallon of coolant.

Also while driving the temp gauge would go up and down, I wonder if when a exhaust bubble would get on the sensor it would drop. I guess Im going to have to tear into it.
You have a leaking head gasket between the cyl. and the water port causing exhaust gas to enter the water system causing overheating. When stationary, the flow reverses and you will get water in the cyl.. Lucky you haven't knocked the top out of a piston.

Old 12-06-08, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by mikeTN
You have a leaking head gasket between the cyl. and the water port causing exhaust gas to enter the water system causing overheating. When stationary, the flow reverses and you will get water in the cyl.. Lucky you haven't knocked the top out of a piston.
When I drove it it never did over heat, never got over 200 but would drop to like 100 or 150 then back up to 200 again. I didnt drive it far, from teh hardware store to the house is maybe 5 miles at most.

I got everything in the barn out of my way so I can work on it. Ill have to pull it around the yard, I dont want to start it.

Old 12-09-08, 06:40 AM
Question

If you can see the guage move that much while driving, then the thermostat seems to work fine. Does/has it EVER overheated? If you are getting exhaust gases in the cooling section of the engine, it WILL overheat at some point. The colder the outside temp. is the longer it may take to overheat. Remove the radiator cap(with it cool) and watch as it warmes up. Look for bubbles/boiling of water as it reaches operating temp. If it has been sitting for a while, take out the spark plugs and turn it over(preferrably with a helper) while watching the cyl. to see if ANY water comes out. If ANY water comes out of ANY cylinder, you have a head gasket leaking. Have you checke the oil for water? Sure sign of a gasket leak. Good Luck!

Old 12-09-08, 07:09 AM
The day I drove it home I did pull the radiator cap with it hot and it wasnt under pressure so there must be a leak. It never overheated on me, maybe because it was 20deg out and I only drove about 5 miles. If it stops raining maybe Ill pull the plugs out and turn it over. Ive been thinking about doing that. I checked the oil again yesterday and it was still fine, no coolant in it. I ordered a gasket kit for it yesterday, Im supposed to pick it up today some time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: