brakes 1999 lumina

Old 12-06-08, 10:19 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
brakes 1999 lumina

For about 100'000 miles, my rear brake shoes seemed to have a squeak at times. I have many times pulled the wheel and drum to ck for worn shoes or something loose. never anything found.
Recently after a cold night of about 20 degrees when i started out, the right wheel was locked and after about 100 yards of gravel and hard top, it seemed to loosen enough for the wheel to turn.
I again pulled the wheels and observed that the rear brakes have never made contact with the drum. after over a hundred thousand miles, front brake pads changed at least two times can anyone guess as to what the problem is.
I discussed it with the local chev. dealer mechanic and the only suggestion was , turn the drum, but the brakes do not make contact and are very close tolerance when i install the wheels.

have tried to contact local community college auto mechanic class instructor but so far no contact. Car runs good so nothing is required to prevent it from being road woorthy but am curious as to why the rear brakes have never made contact with the drum,
have thought possible defective master cylender,, any takes someone

Old 12-06-08, 03:22 PM
either bad master cyl, bad proportioning valve, improperly adjusted brakes, bad antilock actuater, or a fitting not drilled stoping the flow of fluid to the rear. however if your vehicle had antilocks no fluid to the rear should cause some type of sensor problem. how are the bearings on the rear hubs? almost sounds like you might also have a rear bearing problems.

are you going to cowboy up or just lay there and bleed?

Old 12-07-08, 07:09 AM
C
I vote for wheel bearings going bad.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: