Rusty Brakes Problem

Old 12-06-08, 06:19 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rusty Brakes Problem

I have a 2003 Silverado that I don't use very often, basically weekends and put about 3-4k miles a year on it. The problem is that it sits on my asphalt driveway and I have a lot of rust issues. I am on my 3rd set of brakes and my trans linkage just rusted out as well. Besides storing it indoors, does anybody have any other ideas of how to at least slow down the problem. Someone told me that if it was sitting on concrete, that would help a lot. I am in Northern NJ, not close to the ocean. I was thinking of some kind of pad or something maybe?

Old 12-06-08, 07:22 PM
W
I would suspect the road salt in Jersey has alot more to do with the rust than parking on an asphalt drive. I have a 74 c-30 that is parked on my asphalt drive, I drive it about 500 miles a year and it is not rusted any worse than any other 74 around here.

Old 12-07-08, 09:24 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
rust

You might have it sprayed with some type of undercoating if it can be gotten clean enough. RW

Old 12-07-08, 05:46 PM
C
b

I have a sports car and my brakes will rust over the course of a rainstorm. It completely bare metal that is more often then not Hot when it it exposewd to water hence speeding up the rust process.
Also spray will contaminate the pads and cause other braking issues like not stopping and glazing of the rotors. There really isnt much you can do if you just want to jump in and drive it every weekend.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: