How to replace a Ford Escape 2002 V6 Alternator?

Old 12-08-08, 01:23 PM
How to replace a Ford Escape 2002 V6 Alternator?

I can see it behind the passanger front tire. Is this the best place to axcess the alternator for removal? Looks like the motor mounts might be in the way if I tried to remove from the top. Help need advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-08, 02:27 PM
Group Moderator
Here's how:

AutoZone.com | Vehicle Selection - Year

Looks like one ugly job.

Old 12-08-08, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator
OMG I just looked at my manual for my 2000. REMOVE THE DRIVE AXLE??? for an alternator???
I thought her old Nissan was bad...

Well, I know what my primary criteria will be for the next vehicle......

Old 12-08-08, 08:34 PM
ain't smaller vehicles wonderfull. remember the v-8 monza's, having to jack the motor up 5 inches to change plugs. or the chevet if it had power brakes you had to pull the brake booster to change the starter

what altitude do the deer turn in to elk? (my daughter actually had a camper ask her that last summer when she was working at wilderness trek)

Old 12-09-08, 04:13 AM
Group Moderator
"Ford Has a Better Idea"; this just wasn't one of them.

Old 12-09-08, 04:42 AM
Super Moderator
Guess I shouldn't really complain. I remember an old Honda Accord I had, had to loosen a motor mount and lift the engine a bit just to change the alternator belt.

Old 12-09-08, 07:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have a 2003 Ford Escape V6. Manual says to remove the intake manifolds to change spark plugs so I can understand what you are up against.

Old 12-23-08, 12:47 PM
i have a 2002 ford escape 3.0 v 6 the altenator will fit straight up the back side you must losen the ac hoses and slightly pull them further over to the passenger side it will scrape the insalation against the firewall but it will fit

Old 12-18-11, 05:10 PM
Thumbs down My experience

I just replaced one on a 2006 V6.
Had to remove passenger side tire. Then I removed the plastic wheel cover. Next I removed the serpentine belt. Next I removed the plastic alternator front cover. Now you need to remove the Aternator Plug and power cable. Remove the 8 mm bolt that holds the plastic housing for cooling the alternator and reach behind the motor and unsnap it to get it out of the way. Now remove the top stud, tacking off the nut alone won't work because the alternator won't slide off the stud. Now remove the bottom bolts 15mm. Now turn the alternator aroound so you can remove the rest of the cooling housing. Put a jack under the motor. Remove the passenger side motor mount. The alternator will come up past the fire wall in the back of the motor. I had to get it most of the way out first and the I lowwered the motor to get the rest of the way out. GOOD LUCK!!! I spent about 8 hours figuring this out.