1997 Ford Taurus PS Filter

Old 12-15-08, 05:55 PM
1997 Ford Taurus PS Filter

I replaced the power steering filter on this car in March of this year because it was cracked. Now the other night it cracked again. This is due to the extreme cold weather we are having. The oil gets too thick to pump through the filter and cracks the plastic housing. What I want to know is if anyone has by-passed this filter with a pipe or if they have a way to thin the fluid during the winter. I don't understand why the PS fluid has to be filtered anyway. Do you think it will hurt to do away with this filter?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-08, 06:33 PM
I have never seen a auto with a p/s filter, but if ford is using one then they must have had a problem with debris in the p/s fluid, what are you using for p/s fluid? most people use atf and it is rated about 10wt. should not get that thick unless you are talking -20 temps. should not be a major problem in bypassing the filter for cold weather.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 12-15-08, 06:58 PM
Fluid

I have never seen a filter for the PS before either, but this car has one. The fluid I am using is just your basic clear fluid. It is "Pronto" brand. I assume that ATF is automatic transmission fluid. If so, would it have to be Ford specific? The filter is not hard to change, but is not cheap. It was extremely cold last night and the car sits outside. You think tranny fluid is thinner than PS fluid. If it is, that would help.

Old 12-15-08, 07:14 PM
atf is auto trans fluid, technically it is high quality turbine oil, most of the time it is a thinner weight than fluid sold as p/s fluid, which is usually hydraulic fluid typically about 30 wt.
you might want to stay with ford specific since some manufactures use proprietary mixes in seals that other brands of fluid can attack.

Murphy was an optimist

Old 12-15-08, 07:15 PM
ford uses atf in there systems, U might want to try a synthetic fluid for colder temps.

Old 12-15-08, 07:39 PM
Correct

GMtech, you're right. I looked in the owners manual (didn't realized I had one) and it says to use Ford ATF. Hopefully, someone had change this filter before me and put the wrong fluid in also, causing it to crack. So I will get the new filter and ATF and try again. Thanks to all of you who replied.

TAS

Old 12-19-08, 01:46 PM
Update

The auto parts store said that no matter how thick the oil got, the filter should not have cracked. So I got a new one for nothing. Bought a quart of Ford ATF and everything has been good since then. Beer 4U2