Will this pass inspection?

Old 12-16-08, 07:06 AM
Will this pass inspection?

I have an appt. to get my pt cruiser inspected Friday and last night during a windstorm a shopping cart ran right smack into the back tailight breaking the red part of the lens. It made an almost perfectly round hole and I have a round plastic red cap that I have put into it that fit snug and you don't even notice a difference when lit. I was wondering if this would pass inspection or not. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-08, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator
Well, if the experts knew where you were located, they might be able to give a better opinion.

I've seen some pretty crazy things get stickers put on.

Old 12-16-08, 07:10 AM
This would be a New York inspection and I would be taking it to a dealership.

Old 12-16-08, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator
Well, don't know NY, but in my experience elsewhere, dealers are just about the strictest in terms of inspections. Because they expect you to just have them replace the part to get the sticker.

I believe there are some experts from up in that area, give them time to check in.

Old 12-16-08, 08:44 AM
Technically I say no.
In reality I would say they would let it go

Old 12-16-08, 09:28 AM
Sorry about this but:
Section 79.21 says reject if "any lense is missing, broken (piece missing) or has a crack that results in an opening or improperly fit so that light is being emitted. (ammended 8/13/03)"
I know that sucks, sorry

Old 12-16-08, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Sorry about this but:
Section 79.21 says reject if "any lense is missing, broken (piece missing) or has a crack that results in an opening or improperly fit so that light is being emitted. (ammended 8/13/03)"
I know that sucks, sorry
Well, that sounds like if a piece or whole lens is missing, or a crack that would allow white light out? I'd use some clear silicone on the red plug, stick it in the hole, and go for it. If they reject it, ask them to show you the section that applies, then ask them to show you were the light is leaking out.

Of course, this is based on just a hole, no other cracking.

Old 12-16-08, 09:48 AM
Equipment > Automotive Service and Repairs > Will this pass inspection?

If you were in Eurpoe (mainly Germany or Switzerland), it would never pass. They can even tie up your car until it is corrected. That is why you see so many Mercedes cabs with 300,000 or more miles on them - they are like new. In the U.S. it might pass depending on whether it was noticed. In most states, they do the light test front and back while going through all the ligh functions (high, low, running, turns, brakes, etc.), so they will definitel look at the light, but maybe not closely.

I assume Michael's quote is for New York state.

Why not find a lens (new or used) and put it on yourself? Much cheaper than being stuck at a dealer and paying them to do it and release the car or pay for another inspection. Even if they miss it this year, the odds are someone will eventually spot it.

Dick