'03 Mazda...Fuel Pump??

Old 12-16-08, 11:18 AM
'03 Mazda...Fuel Pump??

I did a search but couldnít find a definitive answer. I have an í03 Mazda 6. For a few weeks now Iíve been hearing a funny noise coming from the rear of my car on the side where I add fuel. Itís tough to describe this noise but it has a ďhollowĒ quality to it, as if I was in an empty tank. It almost sounds like when you are sitting inside your car and someone is putting gas in the tank. When I get out of my car and listen for it, I cannot hear it, only when Iím in my car. It stops as soon as I turn off the engine. This leads me to believe itís the fuel pump. Today when accelerating to get on the highway, my car hesitated badly. It happened again at lunch. I was low on gas but nowhere near running out and this never happened before. After I filled the tank at lunch, the noise disappeared and I tried getting on the accelerator to check for any hesitation but there was none. Is this the fuel pump and could being low on fuel have something to do with it? Again, Iíve been low on fuel many times (fuel light comes on with 4 gallons left in the tank) and this never happened in the past. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-08, 02:23 PM
sounds like a internal fuel leak, if this pump has a line leading from the top of the pump to the tank connection it possibly has started leaking some. that could explain the noise and when the tank is full it is covering the leak to prevent the spray from hitting the side of the tank. to check it you will need to first check the output pressure of the pump and the volume pumped in 30 seconds to compare to factory specifications. then you may need to pull the tank in order to remove the fuel pump.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 12-16-08, 03:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Driving with the fuel light on can harm your fuel pump. When the fuel gets low enough, the pump is no longer submerged in fuel, and as a result, the pump will overheat and fail prematurely. It's odd, I know, but the fuel cools the pump.

Old 12-16-08, 04:48 PM
have you filled the tank completely after the light came on and checked it with the actual capacity of the tank? 4 gallons left is a lot of fuel, I would not think that you have a 16 gallon tank so if it came on with 4 gal.that means that it would be at 1/4 when the light comes on

Old 12-16-08, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by gregtech View Post
have you filled the tank completely after the light came on and checked it with the actual capacity of the tank? 4 gallons left is a lot of fuel, I would not think that you have a 16 gallon tank so if it came on with 4 gal.that means that it would be at 1/4 when the light comes on
My car has an 18 gallon tank. I usually fill it when the light comes on or shortly there after and it's always 14-15 gallons to fill it, give or take depending how long I drive with the light on. If I fill it as soon as the light comes on it takes 14 gallons so I deduced the light comes on with 4 gallons in the tank. I also check how many miles per gallon I'm getting every time I fill the tank and my readings are consistent.

Old 12-16-08, 06:38 PM
sorry, my fault, my experience and the vehicles I work on the light and warning signal come on with about 40 miles remaining

Old 12-16-08, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by gregtech View Post
sorry, my fault, my experience and the vehicles I work on the light and warning signal come on with about 40 miles remaining
Yea I hear you, I always thought it was funny coming on when I have 80+ miles to go. My motorcycle's comes on with like 0.9 gallons.

Search this Thread