90 Corolla Turn Signal Issue

Old 12-16-08, 06:46 PM
90 Corolla Turn Signal Issue

I have a 1990 Toyota Corolla. When turning left the indicator flashes quickly and the front left bulb doesn't light up. The same bulb does not light up when the hazard button is pressed. The bulb does light up when the parking lights are on. What could be the issue?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-08, 05:59 AM
Group Moderator
Bulb burnt out; it has two elements in it, one for parking lights and one for turn signal. The turn element is probably a goner. It's also possible there is corrosion in the socket.

Old 12-17-08, 03:30 PM
Group Moderator
I'm leaning toward the bulb - they burn out regularly. I think corrosion would be more likely to cause both functions to fail.

Old 12-17-08, 10:23 PM
Unfortunately when I moved the bulb and socket (which worked fine) from the passenger side to the driver side (problem side) assembly it had the same issue. This seems to rule out the bulb.

To make things even more confusing. When testing the passenger side with the front bulb and socket removed, the rear bulb and indicator on the dash flashed at the normal frequency. I figured they would blink faster, like the ones for the driver side.

After reviewing the wiring diagram and checking under the dash, it appears that there is one wire going out from the turn signal flasher to both front and rear lights on the driver side. So it seems reasonable that if the flasher was the issue both lights on that side would not be working. This tells me it must be either a wiring issue or the connection between the socket and the assembly. Which neither sound like much fun to try and figure out.

Anything else I might be missing here or any other ideas?

Old 12-18-08, 10:23 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah, wiring problems cqan be a P.I.T.A. Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it?

Old 12-18-08, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Yeah, wiring problems cqan be a P.I.T.A. Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it?
No I don't, but the local auto parts store loans tools. I should be able to get one from there. I'm going to take a good look at the assembly this afternoon when I get home. I post if I find anything.