foggy windows???

Old 12-21-08, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
foggy windows???

I am getting foggy windows, and i have to turn my air conditioner on to clear my windows. could it be my heater core or is it a problem with my defroster controls?? any help would be appreciated. on a 1996 Toyota corolla
karen

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-08, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The A/C should kick on when in defrost mode, (although you may not notice it normally) to remove humidity from the air.

If its not, there may be a problem with the controls, I'm not sure what actually activates it. Some of the mechanic type guys should be able to answer.

Old 12-21-08, 03:21 PM
the defroster position should engage the a/c compressor to control the interior humidity unless you have a separate a/c button to turn on the a/c. if so simply turn that on when you set the blend controls to defrost., if it doesn't come on as described then you have a problem with the controls, but to be safe do you smell any sweet smell when the window gets foggy? if so you could have a leaking heater core. have you checked the coolant level? check it when the engine is cold and also at the radiator and the reservoir if you are low then suspect a heater core or other leak.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 12-22-08, 09:19 AM
In addition to what was previously mentioned, is there a reason you may have excess moisture in the car such as a water leak because of a weatherstrip problem, a plugged drain in the evaporator/heater core housing, etc. Check for signs of wet carpeting.

Old 12-22-08, 02:00 PM
thanks but i dont have a water leak in the car. cupcakes

Old 12-22-08, 02:09 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Cupcakes, you don't need to see a puddle in the car. When the air conditioner runs, it extracts moisture from the air and the moisture drips into a pan under the air conditioner coils. From there, it is supposed to drip out under the car via a hose from the pan to the exterior.

The hose has a one way valve which is prone to clog. This leaves water in the pan which your heater evaporates. It then condenses as moisture on your cold windshield. Vicious cycle. You need to get the drain hose cleared.

Old 12-22-08, 02:09 PM
thanks for your answer. cupcakes

Old 12-22-08, 02:15 PM
thanks i'll chcek it out when it gets warm!!!. cupcakes