Questions about jacks

Old 12-25-08, 07:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Questions about jacks

Where should I place the jack stands on a car and on a truck? Is it okay to have a vehicle raised on 4 jackstands? Is it okay to raise a truck with a floor jack under the differential?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-08, 07:43 AM
Wink

Where to place the jack or jack stand all depends on the vehicle......finding a strong part of the frame is always a good idea!!!!

Can you jack a truck on the pumpkin? yes, but it will rock from left to right and you run the chance of truck slipping off of jack. I don't do this very often and than only enough to get jack stands under frame. Never get under vehicle with it only on a jack!!!! They tend to fall or the jack can fail and leave you trapped under the vehicle.

Can you place truck on four jack stands......YES!!! As a matter of fact, if properly placed this is probally the best way to do things. Once on the stands the truck isn't going to move. Just plan ahead a little and make sure the jack stands are not going to be in your way later on, depending on what you are doing to the truck.

Depending on how high you are planning on going with the vehicle you may have to go up in stages. Don't get to aggressive with the amount you raise the vehicle in one pass or you risk it tipping off of stands or jack.

Old 12-25-08, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the reply, you certainly answered my questions well.

Old 12-31-08, 01:09 PM
couple of other things to think about, it you are working on brakes place jack stands under the frame so that the tires/axles hang as far down from the body as possible to allow plenty of clearance for work. I like to use 5 ton jack stands to allow the maximum height for work under the vehicle also the wider base gives more stability, next keep the stands set as wide as possible on the vehicle to make the system as stable as possible, always set jack stands under either the frame or the axles to support the vehicle, don't use oil pans, radiator, transmission cases, transfer cases, front drive axles, or body panels to support the vehicle when placing on jack stands. the exception on body panels would be a weld joint that is a designated jack point for the vehicle.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies