Rack, tie rod end?

Old 12-26-08, 04:05 PM
Question Rack, tie rod end?

We have a 2002 Toyota Matric. On black ice at less than 5 MPH I was attempting to turn left when I slid into a curb. The right front wheel hit the curb at near head on, and made quite a hard hit, even at such a slow speed. I was off the brakes, in neutral, but had no control. I felt for sure it blew the tire, but it didn't. The rim has a large scar, but not broken.

The toe in of the right compared to the left is approx. 1/8 of a steering wheel off, the right wheel is pointing in. I was able to drive it home, and up on stands I can't see the result. The tie rod isn't bent, at least that part that is exposed. The inter boot might hide such, but I would be surprised.

In order to temporarlly adjust the toe I dropped the right tie rod, but can't brake the rod end loose from the rod itself. It requires a 14 MM wrench on the rod, and a 19 MM on the rod end, but it won't move in either direction. Rust is not a problem, it just seems to be stuck. I have applied liq. wrench and smacked it a few times with a hammer, but no movement. It doesn't appear that there is a LOCKING nut, but it was kind of dark out, so maybe there is. I will look tomorrow.

My question is, IS THERE A LOCKING JAMB NUT BUTTED UP TO THE ROD END ITSELF THAT NEEDS TO BE BROKEN LOOSE FIRST?

The Matric is the same as the Corolla undercarriage.

Thank You,

Dale in Indy:

Last edited by Smith Brother; 12-26-08 at 04:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-08, 04:18 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, there should be a jam nut. More info here:

AutoZone.com | Vehicle Selection - Year

Old 12-26-08, 06:52 PM
I have seen people put loctite on them. Most inner tie rods come with loctite,but I wouldn't use it for the outer.