Replaced the head gasket but its still smokey!? Please help!

Old 12-27-08, 04:00 PM
Replaced the head gasket but its still smokey!? Please help!

Hi, me and my partner recently took on my uncles Vauxhall Frontera 2.2 (2000). The story goes like this...

He drove for quite a while when the engine lost its water. He pulled into a garage where we met him and topped the water up. We changed the water pump as thats what we believed the problem to be as it was screaming and smoking so we also replaced the head gasket which was blown on cylinder 4... now the car is rebuilt and serviced its still smoking when hot from the exhaust but has not lost any power and seems to be running fine. The smoke is white and theres lots of it. We took the cam cover off and the main oil feed pipe which seemed to look clear before was blocked with white gunge so weve cleared all this out but have yet to put it all back together again.

Is there anything else to be cleaned? Will the cat converter be ok? Does anyone have any idea what else could be wrong? Thanks in advance, Danny and Mandi x

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-08, 04:44 PM
Not sure about the cat, but I think the headgasket is blown again. Did you have the block and head checked for warpage? Overheating will cause problems like that. A warped head or block will blow the head gasket again.
Remove the head again, take a flat edge metal ruler and lay it across the block. Using a few positions measure with a feeler gauge the amount of warpage. Do same for the head. I think you'll find problems. This can all be fixed at a machine shop but it won't be real cheap.

Check this
Repairs Blown Head Gaskets With No Disassembly | Lifetime Guarantee | Steel Seal
google "head gasket Repair" I've used this before on an old chevy motor and it worked. Cheap fix is the car's not worth putting a lot of money into.

Last edited by rmmagow; 12-27-08 at 04:48 PM. Reason: add info