Replacing disc pads on T Bucket.

Old 12-27-08, 05:27 PM
Replacing disc pads on T Bucket.

I'm in the process of changing the pads on the disc brakes of my car (front). Is there a secret to getting the caliper off the rotor? I took the bolts out, but find everything is too tight to get off. Is there a step I'm missing. Thanks for your help.

Dustman

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-08, 07:43 PM
What type of calipers are you using? A sliding caliper can be gently pried toward the outside, thereby pushing the piston into the bore slightly, and allowing it to be removed. 2 or 4 piston calipers with opposing pistons are not as easy.

Old 12-28-08, 01:35 PM
Cool front brake pad removal

You say "T bucket" so that means street rod. What type brakes? Usually I loosen the bleedeer valve and insert "gently" a plastic/teflon type wedge between the shoe and the rotor to push a little fluid out. Re-tighten bleeder and remove the caliper. After I remove the caliper, use a C clamp to recess the piston/s so as to allow room for the new pads. Re-install and bleed.

Old 12-28-08, 04:37 PM
Thanks. I haven't had a chance to try yet, but will. Is there any particular place to pry from?

Old 12-30-08, 06:45 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by Dustman View Post
Thanks. I haven't had a chance to try yet, but will. Is there any particular place to pry from?
Slip a plastic/teflon/wood wedge between the rotor and the brake pad(either side will work) and loosen the bleeder valve to allow a little fluid to escape and the cyl. to retract. Close bleeder and remove caliper.