03 Jeep Liberty AC Problem

Old 01-01-09, 02:46 PM
03 Jeep Liberty AC Problem

A little over a year ago, my Liberty's A/C stopped cooling.

Mechanic replaced compressor. Now the compressor clutch is not engaging. The part had a 1 year warranty and I am, unfortunately, 4 months past that.

Before I take it in, (and have them tell me I need the compressor replaced again), I would like to check to see if the clutch is receiving electricity.

I know you can jump or bypass the relay to check this. Can someone tell me how to do this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-09, 03:00 PM
More than likely it is the low pressure cut out that has it not engaging. The low pressure switch is located on the accumulator(normally) which is the silver can looking thing close to the firewall on the passenger side. It will have a plug with 2 wires in it. Start the engine, turn the AC on, pull the plug off the switch and jumper the wires together with a short piece of wire or needle nose pilers, if this is the problem the compressor should start, you will be able to hear the clutch click in. CAUTION: only jumper these wires for 1 or 2 seconds any longer and you run the risk of destroying the compressor. If the compressor does start this means you are low in refrigerant, and you need to find the leak, repair it and evacuate/ recharge the system.

Old 01-01-09, 07:27 PM
Thank you, Wire Twister. I will check it out.

Old 01-06-09, 08:20 PM
On second thought... don't know if I like the idea of doing the jumping with the engine & A/C running.

Couldn't I accomplish the same thing this way?:

With engine and A/C off, jump the low pressure switch.

Turn on engine.

Ask assistant to turn on A/C (1 - 2 seconds) while I observe compressor clutch.

Old 01-07-09, 04:42 AM
dont really need the engine running, just turn the key to the on position, jump out the low pressure switch, and listen for the compressor clutch to click

Old 08-02-10, 09:18 AM
jump start low pressure switch on 06 liberty

How can I jumpstart the A/C Compressure's low pressure switch?
I was told to use a paper clip from 1 hole to the next, but my switch has 4 holes.

Could I get the step by step procedure please?

Thanks!

Old 08-02-10, 12:52 PM
You can use a voltmeter to measure electricity (to compressor). How to use a voltmeter/multimeter...
how to use a multimeter on a car - Google Search