Breaks and tie rods

Old 01-02-09, 08:07 AM
Brakes and tie rods

1997 Ford Taurus, 3 liter V6, 227,000 miles...

Two parter...

First, had my front pads and rotors installed two weeks ago (hated to have someone else do it... but no time) and while driving home I started to hear a knocking while braking.
I called the shop and the guy told me that sometimes they get bad rotors and to bring it back. I brought it back and he tells me it's the tie rods...

So my question is how likely is that story? No problem before brake job, tie rod problem immediately after...

And if it does happen that way, is a tie rod job something a DIY'er can handle (one with admittedly basic ability...)

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Last edited by 110murphys; 01-02-09 at 10:23 AM. Reason: stupidity... 'breaks'... :)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-09, 07:18 PM
Thumbs down

Tie rods don't generally knock unless they are worn out and loose. Why just when you apply brakes???? I would check it out myself or find another mechanic!!

Old 01-08-09, 07:40 PM
nap
Originally Posted by mikeTN View Post
Tie rods don't generally knock unless they are worn out and loose. Why just when you apply brakes???? I would check it out myself or find another mechanic!!
if they have never been replaced, he does have a worn out tie rod (and I would bet it is the right outer if it is only one). Since Ford started using their no-grease rod ends, they have been problematic. I have changed rod ends on Fords that had less than 20K miles

This may be a possibility but I suspect that even if a tie rod end is bad, the rotors also have runout problems. If there were no runout problems, a tie rod end usually won't show up simply due to braking. As a matter of fact, they will tend to show up less under braking as that causes more stress on the rod end and it will tend to be held more solid by the forces involved. If the braking was pulsed (as with a warped rotor) the forces applied to the rod end would also pulse and maybe then it may be noticed but I still have my doubts it would cause it to be noticed because of that.

First rule of car repair: if it didn;t do it before the repair and the repair is anyway related to the new problem; the repair is most likely at least part of the new problem but usually the major part of the new problem.

As to a rod end being DIY; If it is an outer AND you learn how to do it properly, it can be a DIY but you will still need an aligment. If it is an inner (actually called a socket), I would suggest not doing it DIY. It often takes special tools and doing it wrong can damage the rack and pinion unit.