1999 Pontiac sunfire GT--No license plate light

Old 01-07-09, 01:07 PM
1999 Pontiac sunfire GT--No license plate light

Hi All,

Could someone tell me if there is suppose to be a license plate light above the lcense plate or when the Pontiac lights light up, does it provide enough lights for the plate. Right now the pontiac light does not light up- hard to get to the bulbs and cannot tell if there is a blown fuse. What is the proceedure to check and change the bulb for the back PONTIAC sign, do you have to take off the plastic cover with the nuts?.
I guess I will start checking all the fuses as they are pretty stuffed in the panel.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-09, 01:15 PM
PS--there is not a fixture for a bulb above the back plate??

Old 01-07-09, 03:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is there a hole for a fixture or the light(s) mounted on the bumper? Don't know about Canada, but in most states, failure to illuminate the rear license is cause to stop you and issue a citation.

I would think the Pontiac light would be on when the night time running lights are on. Nothing is easy anymore. Dig in, best way to learn.

Old 01-08-09, 10:59 AM
License plate light Pontiac sunfire GT

Hello All,

I found the light and there were 2! Up above the license plate behind the Pontiac Lens at the rear, thing is--someone before me spray painted the bottom clear plastic lens black therefore I thought the bulbs were for the Pontiac sign only!
Clean the plastic with paint thinner and try to turn the light fixture out--counter clockwise to undo--clockwise to put it back in--right--do not want to break them as I will have to use needlenose pliers to turn them as the room is really tight.

Old 01-09-09, 07:21 PM
License plate light

Hi All,

No wonder everyone is upset at GM. I called the local dealership and they stated that 1 pig tail was 57 bucks and the light was wired in tandem therefore 2 and they didn't carry the wiring harness anymore. I said you must be new there and could I talk to the manager and I was immediately cut off.
I proceeded to take out the parts and go to Canadian tire and found parts that matched the pig tails and jerry rigged them a bit and everything works.
How rude!
vented and feel better now.

Randy