2001 Ford Taurus Heater

Old 10-21-07, 02:06 PM
D
DUD
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2001 Ford Taurus Heater

I have searched the archives, and tried to check everything. I was in Florida 2 weeks ago and a company there replaced the radiator overflow and tightened the water pump hose to the core. We weren't using the heater at the time, so I don't know if it worked prior or not, but no heat on any setting now.

I have checked and the 2 hoses that I think are the water heater, one comes from the water pump top, the other runs along the firewall and connects to a metal pipe.

If these are the correct 2, I can feel heat in them, so My question is, Where to check next. Thanks, Bill

Last edited by DUD; 10-21-07 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Left something out
Old 10-21-07, 06:29 PM
I would make sure that the temp actuator on the heater box is moving. Peek under dash with a flash light looking for a moving actuator while you are moving the temp control from hot to cold.

If both hoses are connected to the heatercore and are warm to the touch I would say that the Heater Core is clogged up causing no heat. Depending on how easy they are to get to, I would pull both of them off and try to shoot water through on side and see if it comes out the other. Beware! If it is clogged up with coolant mush then it is probably going to come out with pressure.

Old 10-21-07, 06:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Patron
If both hoses are connected to the heatercore and are warm to the touch I would say that the Heater Core is clogged up causing no heat.

If both hoses (1 in firerwall, 1 out) then that usually means the coolant is flowing through the core. Also, if core is clogged, it will usually make your vehicle overheat.

Sounds like the blend door actuator to me. Hopefully they don't have to remove the entire dash board.....

Old 10-22-07, 06:56 AM
D
DUD
Thanks for the replies, I'm going to the emergengy room now with out of control blood pressure. Bill

Old 10-22-07, 03:17 PM
E
I hope you weren't serious. At least you are in Arkansas and not up north like me where I plugged a heat lamp into my AC to DC inverter to get supplementary heat this last winter. It was way below zero out and this really helped, with the lamp pointed toward my lap.

If I were you, I would get ahold of one of those probe thermometers. One of those kind that is like 6 inches long and has about a 1/8 inch diameter probe. You can find them at grocery stores. Stick that in your panel vent. Then drive the vehicle a good ways with engine warmed up and see what it reads with the fan off. Then see what it is when you turn the fan on to low. Then see what it is when on high. You might be surprised at what you find. Often, you will actually have heat when you didn't think you had ANY. The air being blown through the core gives the illusion it is not working (wind chill effect) if say the temp is 'only' 90 degrees. The hoses can actually feel quite warm when the fan is off, in cases where the core is partially plugged. But as soon as you turn on the fan, the air blowing through cools the core down faster than the hot water can circulate through the core. Then in all likelihood the return hose will get cool.

It will be a fun little test and you can do this and post back your results to be analysed.

Old 10-25-07, 07:54 AM
D
DUD
I was serious about My blood pressure, However I stayed there for several hours and started it coming down. I came home and have been in bed for 2 days and just now got on the computer.

I still have the problem with the Taurus, when I move the knob around for just a few seconds I have warm air. It then becomes cold again, I am starting to believe that it is the blend door. It is supposed to stop raining and get some warmer this weekend, I'm going to try to flush it first. Thanks, Bill

Old 01-08-09, 04:47 PM
D
DUD
Same problem this year, I never got it working. This week I followed hoses, and found 3 concerned with heater. One is a bypass hose, if the heater is full of junk, it bypasses and keep flowing. I took it kloose and pluged it. I then took the other hoses loose, and fludhed it out as good as I can. I left the bypas hose pluged installed hoses and 1 gal of antifreeze. It now heats fine, until motor idles. I don't know what to do to make it heat on isle? Anyu takers? Thanks Bill

Old 01-08-09, 05:49 PM
Sounds like your thermostat is staying open.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: