Impossible Situation

Old 01-08-09, 12:46 AM
Impossible Situation

[/B]Mitsubishi Magna 1994, 2.6L 4 cyl, auto saloon.

Just changed the cylinder head. The car ran, but with no power when I put it in gear. I guessed that somehow the crankshaft moved 360 when the head was off. Gremlins, because I didn't move it!!! So I rotated the crankshaft 360 with the timing belt disconnected from the camshaft, reconnected the cam belt & the car runs identical to the 360 degrees earlier. I was expecting it not to run at all or to run a lot better. I have set the electrical timing based upon the #1 engine at TDC as per the book. How can an engine run the same with the spark at the top of the compression stroke & at the top of the exhaust stroke?

Any suggestions as to what might have happened would be interesting.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-09, 05:09 AM
Group Moderator
Interesting, I would have expected results as you described. Apparently the valve and valve timing setup is just right to be able to run, however badly in either position. You really neeed to locate the alignment marks and get it set up properly.

I've never heard of a Magna nor a 2.6L Mitsu engine, but here's some info on other engines to help you locate the alignment marks:

AutoZone.com | Vehicle Selection - Year

Old 01-08-09, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator
I'm guessing Austrailia? Anyway, heres a forum all about Magnas.....
Fastmagna.com - Australian Magna Club Forums

Old 01-08-09, 05:25 AM
Group Moderator
Hmm, I'll take a wild guess; South Australia, near Adelaide? [TowGuy is psychic ]

Old 01-08-09, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator
I think TG may have IP address access...lol

Old 01-08-09, 07:58 AM
the crank shaft position is going to be the same it dosen't matter if you turn it 360 the #1 piston will still be top dead center,so to change the timimg you would need to turn the camshaft 180 degrees and it probably not start then. it sounds as if the cam timing might be a tooth or two off.

Old 01-08-09, 02:35 PM
Group Moderator
Tow Guy does NOT have IP access, only the Supers have that. I TOLD you, I'm psychic...or maybe that's psych-o. Beer 4U2

Old 01-08-09, 03:13 PM
TG, you are psychic - very good, now if you can tell me how many teeth the cam belt is off & in which direction I would be a convert.

Greg, I guess that you're right thanks for the education. I couldn't think through the red haze yesterday.

Gunguy, thanks for the Magna link.

Old 01-08-09, 03:48 PM
Just re-started on the car & everything looks OK. The camshaft sprocket pin is in the vertical position (as the book identifies). But what Greg says sounds right - any ideas?