Wobbly Crankshaft pulley

Old 01-10-09, 01:04 PM
Received 59 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Wobbly Crankshaft pulley

My 2001 Mitsubishi Galant v6 started making a squeaking noise after it warms up. I lifted the hood to check the belts and that is when I saw the crankshaft pulley wobbling. The squeak does seem to be coming from the serpentine belt attached here. The pulley seems to be moving about 1/8 inch. I checked the belt for fraying and the pulley for any foreign object but found nothing to cause an optical illusion of movement. The squeak or squeal stops at about 1200 RPM. I did not tighten the belt as I thought I better see about the pulley first and thought a tighter belt might make it worse. It will be at least Tuesday before I can get it looked at by someone.
Is this a big deal? Big cost? Will things last if I continue to drive until Tuesday?

Old 01-10-09, 04:58 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
don't drive it with the pulley wobbling, it most likely has a center breaking on it and at high rpms could throw off of there. that would be a missile zooming around the engine compartment no telling what it would damage or destroy.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 01-10-09, 04:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Harmonic blancer going/gone bad.

Old 01-10-09, 05:01 PM
Group Moderator
Old 01-10-09, 05:09 PM
my wife says i am the worlds slowest typer, it makes her crazy to watch me type.

if we're not supposed to eat animals why are they made out of meat?

Old 01-11-09, 07:48 AM
That is not what i wanted to hear! I suspected that but the ground is really cold and the wind is blowing about 20 mph. So it will have to wait till I can get it somewhere. Would it be obvious if I can get under there and look? Can't really see inside the pulley from above.

Old 01-11-09, 01:18 PM
most likely you will only be able to see what is wrong after removing the pulley.

are you going to cowboy up or just lay there and bleed?

Old 01-15-09, 06:24 AM
Well I jacked up the car Tuesday and started loosing the belts to see if I could move the pulley by hand. When I crawled under to see why the 1st belt would not come off I saw there was 3/16 gap on one side and over 1/4 inch on the other on the pulley. I put everything back the way it was and called a shop. They said bring it any time we can get to it Friday. I found a pulley for $120 and they could have it Wednesday. The wrecker came and got it Tuesday after 5pm and hauled it to the shop about 2 mile away($60). I picked up the pulley and delivered it to the shop yesterday. Now I just have to wait to see how much the replacement costs. They charge $50 an hour for labor.
Thanks for all the advice and insight.

Old 01-15-09, 06:28 AM
Group Moderator
Hmmm, $60 for a two mile tow? Wish I could charge that much. Must be that cold weather/snow surcharge.

I would be surprised if the labor charge was for more than an hour. I don't think there's anything on a Galant that would make it overly difficult for a garage.

Old 01-15-09, 12:46 PM
Towguy, the $60 is a minimum charge. I could have had it towed 50 mile for the same price.
They called me before noon and said the car was done. Total labor was $70 for 1.4 hours. Had to remove the wheel and inner fender along with the splash guard. Then of course the belts and pulley.
So total cost was $248. Pulley..$118 Labor..$70 and the $60 tow charge. I might have got by without the tow but why risk more damage was my thought. I really do not know how long it had been bad. If it were not for the squeaking I would not have even looked at the pulley and belts.

Old 01-15-09, 01:22 PM
Group Moderator
Not too bad. Good choice on the tow; I'm always amazed at the risks some people take on driving cars that should be towed just to save a few bucks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: