97 saturn sl1 door lock problems

Old 01-11-09, 07:54 AM
97 saturn sl1 door lock problems

My drivers side window fell down and in the process of getting it back up I guess the locking mechanism broke. I have power door locks and they open the 3 other doors but not this one. How can I get my door open with the door lock mechanism I guess broken? I have the door lock/handle off from the inside of the car and see the long metal wire that goes into the lock mechanism but it will only lock the door and not unlock so I figure that's why it must be broken. Is there a certain way you are supposed to hook it back up that I could be doing wrong? All I know is I need to be able to at least open the door I don't care about the window or locking the door for right now I just know I can't keep going on getting in the drivers side through the passenger door. Thank you for any assistance you can provide me.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-09, 01:13 PM
the long metal rod is supposed to also unlock, if it pulls up without unlocking the door, is it totally unhooked? if not then you might have broken the latch, if so look for a hole in the latch mechanism for the rod to fit into.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 01-11-09, 02:44 PM
the long metal rod has two holes that it can go inot. one has a blue thing around it with a clip that attaches to the rod. for some reason when i press the lock button it locks but if i press the unlock button it only moves slightly. i've tried pulling it as far as possible to put the rod into the hold while it is in the unlocked position but I doesn't seem to reach that far. The only way I can get the rod to go into the blue hole is in the lock position. Maybe this is why it doesn't work but I'm not sure.

Old 01-11-09, 02:57 PM
that should be the hole it goes into. then when you pull up it should unlock, your mechansim needs either lubricant or sometimes the plastic that is protecting the electromagnite has warped and is causing it to not move freely. try to place the rod in the plastic and then pull up on the rod that should unlock the door.

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.

Old 01-11-09, 03:20 PM
do you mean pull up on the rod using pliars or something? Do I do this in the door frame or where it is in the hole with the blue plastic? Ive tried to stick something down the door frame but it isn't easy because I can't open the window. Thanks for trying to help me.