Dodge Durango Prolem

Old 01-11-09, 04:49 PM
Dodge Durango Prolem

My Daughter's 2005 Durango has 41000 Miles on it. When she is in regular 2wheel drive and tries to turn a hard left turn, like trying to park, the vehicle transmission will lock up, and the vehicle will not move. It only does this occasionally, but I know this isn't right. If we put it into reverse and back up, we can reset it, and it will then move, or maybe not. It operates ok going in a straight line with moderate turns. What is going on here ?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-09, 05:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What do the RPMs do when this happens? Does sound like it's bogging down, or like it's in neutral?

Old 01-11-09, 06:17 PM
Dodge Durango Transmission Problem

Like its bogging down, no power. If she shifts into neutral, rpms go up normally.

Last edited by WML13; 01-11-09 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-11-09, 08:18 PM
sounds like a locked differential not allowing the outside tire to overspin. or maybe the front hubs are staying locked in and binding up the u-joints/drive shaft.

jack up the rear and try spining one tire only if you can't spin it then the differential probably has a limited slip in it and may need to have a friction modifier added.

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.

Old 01-11-09, 09:02 PM
Dodge Durango Transmission Problem

This Vehicle has an extended warranty for the drive train components. I guess I go back to the dealer...

Old 01-17-09, 07:15 PM
Dodge Durango Transmission problem

Just an FYI on my previous question. The dealer said that when the selector is in "4 lock" you cannot make a hard turn on dry pavement. I gave you guys the wrong info on the first post. My daughter was running in "4 lock" in the snow until she turned into the parking lot where I saw the issue for the first time. She had just switched over to "all wheel drive" (the only other choice except "4 low" (for pulling a trailer), but apparently the hard turn she took still locked things up until we reversed and moved. I finally had a chance to look in the manual, and it basically just says "don't make hard turns on dry pavement in "4 lock or driveline damage could occur" (nothing about failure of the vehicle to move forward) First time I heard of that, but never had a 4 wheel drive of my own. Thanks for the replies.