89 chevy pickup bad gas

Old 01-12-09, 07:46 PM
89 chevy pickup bad gas

I have an 89 chevy 1500 that a kid put very bad gas in that was out of a junk car. First off I dropped the tank and cleaned it out. Replaced the fuel pump and filter. I blew out the feul lines and replaced the throttle body and injectors. It will fire and run rough for about 30 seconds before the plugs foul and get soaked with gas. Shoul I remove intake and clean out carbon or am I barking up the wrong tree.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-09, 05:38 AM
You may be barking up the wrong tree. After replacing all those parts the fuel system is basically new. I am thinking you have a controll issue( computer/ 02 sensor etc.) with that much fuel in such a short time. Look at the coolant temperature sensor, make sure it is plugged in. Did you replace the spark plugs? Also check the plug wires, distributor rotor, and coil, as low secondary ignition voltage could cause misfire and fouled plugs. I have seen these engines run after having about half a tank of diesel fuel pumped in, they did not run well, but you could drive them enough to burn out the fuel.

Old 01-13-09, 10:47 AM
I worked in a scrap yard for years and put some awfull bad gas in the yard vehicles because if it crapped out I just picked another that ran.
Hard to think that it did anything real bad.
What was in the gas????
I think you are barking up the wrong tree to pull the intake.

Old 01-13-09, 02:59 PM
I found out the gas was at least 8 years old out of another car. the gas was straight varnish. The truck ran perfect before
it was put in there, Everything has been replaced like the distributor cap plugs 02 sensor module and computer. Don't know where else to go.

Old 01-13-09, 03:42 PM
Check the fuel pressure, maybe the regulator is stuck closed causing high pressure and flooding the engine.

Old 01-13-09, 08:14 PM
found the problem

Thanks for your help but after all the advice I pulled the intake anyway and found a lot of stuck valves. I had 3 broken pushrods. and 4 valves stuck open and it still would start.

Old 01-15-09, 04:59 AM
First time I ever heard of bad gas sitcking valves and breaking pushrods! Must have been some other factors mixed in there, like maybe the engine was over reved trying to get it to clear out, I feel like we were denyed critical need to know information, again!!