Geo Storm steering

Old 01-16-09, 03:38 AM
Geo Storm steering

I have a 92 geo Storm that is having problems with steering. Sometimes when you turn left especially, it feels like I am on ice slipping and sliding. It also doesnt want to turn sometimes on a medium left turn. Any suggestions? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-09, 04:45 AM
When you say it doesent want to turn, do you mean the steering wheel is hard to turn, or the car just does not want to follow the front wheels, pushing or plowing with the front wheels? If the car is plowing with the front wheels how fast are you trying to turn? Was this car wrecked? Does the car have any front suspension damage? Give us something to work with!

Old 01-16-09, 05:47 AM
The steering wheel is fine. Seems like the wheel doesnt want to turn. I am talking an easy turn. Not turning wheel hard or jerking it. When is does turn, sometimes I feel like I am on ice literally. Slips and slides

Old 01-16-09, 08:37 AM
Sounds to me like the power steering pump is on the way out. Or the rack and pinion.

Old 01-16-09, 01:42 PM
I took it to a shop and they told me all looked good except they had to replace and tighten bottom nut on steering rack. Could that have caused all my problems. Just want to make sure for safety reasons. Thanks

Old 01-16-09, 02:15 PM
The nut they are talking about may be the one that adjusts the endplay on the pinion, and too much endplay would make the steering wheel hard to turn. General motors did have a problem with hard turning rack and pinion steering at one point. They usually acted up when it was cold out, it would turn easily to the right but it took three men and a baby to turn back left, and the feel was not linear felt like you had to turn the wheel alot to get any response from the front wheels. Does yours act up when cold or does it do it all the time?