Transmission Problem on Jeep

Old 01-17-09, 10:08 AM
Transmission Problem on Jeep

I have a '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.0 L engine, auto transmission and approximately 135K miles. Worse when the engine is cold and even after warming up, when I put the car in drive, it takes 5 - 10 seconds before it will start moving forward. And when I start moving forward, it feels almost as if it is slamming into gear. If I have a rolling stop, this does not happen. But when I stop at a light, same problem.
To fix, I tried changing the transmission fluid and filter (maybe a thumbnail worth of debris on the magnet on the bottom of pan), but this did help. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-09, 04:25 PM
unfortunatly what you have is a classic case of seals leaking internally the best fix is to have the trans pulled and rebuilt. sometimes the so called trans fix in a can will cause the seals to swell and seal for a while. it will need the rebuild eventually though.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 01-20-09, 11:54 AM
Speedwrench, who ever you are, thanks for the information. I was hoping for another answer, but thanks. By the way, your fix worked and as long as it holds up for a year or so, I will be fine.