98 Ford Contour SVT - BAD Noise - No Start

Old 01-19-09, 03:41 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question 98 Ford Contour SVT - BAD Noise - No Start

You know that AWFUL noise your car makes when you try and start it and it's all ready running? Kind of like, "EENNNT"!
Well that's the same noise my car made yesterday afternoon when I tried to start it - and it was NOT all ready running. The key turns - the dashboard lights come on - the stereo plays - the headlights come on - and I just filled it up 3 days ago. There is no "clicking" noise, just that horrible "EENNNT"!
It's bad, isn't it?

Old 01-19-09, 06:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 251 Upvotes on 203 Posts
Sounds like the starter is a goner. Your discription generally matches a starter that is spinning but not engaging the flywheel

Old 01-19-09, 10:35 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 98 Ford Contour SVT

Yeah... that's kind of what I thought you'd say. Soooooo, how much does something like that cost to have repaired? You know, generally speaking...

Old 01-19-09, 12:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 251 Upvotes on 203 Posts
Dpends on the quality of starter you use for replacement. You can probably spend anywhere from $50-300 for the part itself depending on whether it's a rebuild from the local parts house, a new aftermarket from the parts house, or something from a dealership. I checked the Auto Zone site and theirs runs about $150. Add maybe another hour for labor (I don't know if a Contour is especially complicated or not) and you're probably looking at about $250-300 at a garage.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: