Hydrolic cluch? I need some in put

Old 01-21-09, 10:16 PM
Hydrolic cluch? I need some in put

I've got a 92 s-10 4x4 with a 4.3 five speed hydro clutch. The hydro liine between slave cylinder and master cylinder broke. Well I figured no big thing I'll just tear it aprt get a new line and be good to go. Tear down went fine, Disconnected line from slave cylinder and master. Called auto parts and dealer and they both told me that I had to buy the slave cylinder in order to get the line. My slave is fine. Does anyone PLEASE have a way around this design flaw?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-09, 05:06 AM
Group Moderator
I find that pretty hard to believe. I would try some other parts places. Having said that, your problem is that the parts places probably do not carry pre-formed hydraulic lines. This would be the same thing if you had broken a brake line; what you would have had to buy is a straight piece of brake line the proper length and formed it to the proper shape by putting the bends in it. The clutch line would be the same. I'm surprised none of the parts weenies told you that. The line bending can be fairly tricky to accomplish without getting a kink in the line.

Old 01-22-09, 05:48 AM
The clutch line is some type of plastic isnt it? I am not surprised to hear that you have to get it that way, they used to be so much trouble to bleed that they came from the dealer assembled master cylinder/ line and slave and bled with instructions not to seperate them.

Old 01-22-09, 03:26 PM
Group Moderator
Oh. Hadn't considered that. Yeah, that would make sense. I was thinking standard metal hydraulic lines.

Old 01-22-09, 07:02 PM
add the fords to the plastic line and replacing both slave and master when broken or leaking, been that way for several years now. I think it is as much of a liability issue as any thing.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies.

Old 01-23-09, 01:33 AM
It is a metal line,but has special fittings on each end that I found fairly simple to disconnect. If it was just bending lines that would be no problem. I'm an avid off roader so I've done my deserving share of line forming.

Old 01-23-09, 04:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As you know, if you form the tubing yourself, you will need to use stainless tubing and double flare the ends, should that be the type fittings you have.
I had a '93 K1500 and lost the clutch just after downshifting to negotiate a downward slope of a mountain. Had to use engine speed and careful shifting to make it down and to a shop, making sure I didn't have to stop anywhere or I'd be dead. Anyway, they were able to fix mine with just a retrofit plastic hose, sans the slave, so I was lucky. But with yours and a metal tubing set up, that's different. Is it the fittings that are giving you problems?