92 Cutlass ciera s

Old 01-24-09, 01:33 PM
92 Cutlass ciera s

I have a 1992 Oldsmobile cutlass ciera S with a 3.3L engine. I have 1 known and 1 unknown issue. The known issue is the gasket that goes between the exhaust pipe and the manifold, its blown out. The unknown issue is completely random and occurs when the car starts but does not always occur. The engine runs rough and backfires out the intake. Which suggests a fuel issue. When this occurs it spits out error codes 42 and 43 which are electronic spark timing and electronic spark control. Because of the known issue when this occurs I can smell the exhaust through the vents and it smells more like gas than exhaust. (don't know if that tells you anything.) I have noticed that if I drive the car just far enough to warm up the engine (about 4 miles) and then shut it off for about 30 minutes it actually increases the chances of the unknown issue occurring. Any ideas of possible causes would be greatly appreciated. This issue is new. The ECM is about 8 months old, the plugs and wires are only a few months old. I have 1 new coil pack I replaced it right before the problem started to occur I haven't tried swapping it with the old one yet to see if that clears up the problem. The old one wasn't bad it was just cracked so if it got wet then it didn't work. That is all the info I can think of if any more is needed please request.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-09, 06:41 PM
did the ecm install to a engine surface, if so you might need to place some dielectric grease between it and the engine for heat transfer, on the old hei systems if you did not do that the ingnition control module would go out in about 8 weeks. the gas smell is because you are loosing spark and the fuel is not burning, sounds like a controle module problem or possibly a problem with the wiring to the module. might need to have the crank position sensor tested also.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies