Trouble starting

Old 01-25-09, 04:16 AM
Trouble starting

My wife drives a 2000 grand voyager SE and sometimes she has trouble starting it.

When she turns the key, the engine does not turn over , there is just a "clicking" sound. This can happen between 2 or 10 times before the engine fires up. Then sometimes the engines starts right away without any problems at all.

Any help would be very much appreciated.Beer 4U2

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-09, 04:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Normally I'd say it was a weak battery, but if it only happens occasionally, it is possible you have a bad solenoid relay. Make sure your battery terminals are clean and you coat them with an anti oxidation compound or use the little disks that help with that.

Old 01-25-09, 05:19 AM
we had a new battery fitted a couple of months ago, so hopefully that rules out one thing.

where do i find this solenoid rely?

Do you know if autozone can check it?

as you can tell, i'm not very good with cars

Old 01-25-09, 09:05 AM
Starter probably going bad. But I would replace both solenoid and starter. The click is probably the solenoid trying to do its job, but if it comes alreay attached to the new starter no need to try to seperate them.

Old 01-25-09, 12:05 PM
Yes, Autozone usually can diagnose for you. They know you will probably buy your parts from them, so it is a service they perform.

Old 01-25-09, 04:05 PM
Don't replace anything until you verify that the battery cables are secure. I had a problem also after installing a new side mount battery. The connection was recessed a bit too far and even though the bolt through the cable was tight, I did not always make good contact to the eye on the cable. I finally had to make a lead washer to put between them. No more problem since, and that was 3 years ago.

Old 01-27-09, 08:19 AM
When I had this problem on my '93 Caravan, it was rust on the wire connection going into the bottom of the starter solenoid. I think your van is the same (the connection on the solenoid is close to the ground where it picks up water, etc.)

Old 01-27-09, 04:05 PM
It might be the alternator, or maybe your not getting a clean spark, might be some grim build up on the plug, and the spark itself.

Old 01-28-09, 06:20 AM
Alternators aren't used in starting the car, and spark plugs don't prevent it from turning over. I think that is the problem the OP is having. It is not "cranking", so it won't "start". Solve the cranking problem, it may start ok.

Old 01-31-09, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by alldonein View Post
My wife drives a 2000 grand voyager SE and sometimes she has trouble starting it.

When she turns the key, the engine does not turn over , there is just a "clicking" sound. This can happen between 2 or 10 times before the engine fires up. Then sometimes the engines starts right away without any problems at all.

Any help would be very much appreciated.Beer 4U2
Did you get the problem resolved,dude?I have exactly the same problem.It is too a new battery.If the battery contact is at fault,why would I have the cabin light and head light when the engine does not turn over?Normally I would just wait for a few seconds in between before I try another ignition turn and everything would be fine.Any ideas ,guys?Thanks.