2002 Olds Intrigue fuel gauge problem

Old 01-25-09, 03:40 PM
2002 Olds Intrigue fuel gauge problem

I noticed about 1 week a go that my fuel gauge started acting kind if erratic. It started one afternoon when i started my car and the fuel gauge shot up from 1/4 tank to full ................ then slowly went back to 1/4 tank mark. After that weird occurrence I started paying attention to my gauge and have noticed that it fluctuates as I drive. For example if i have 1/4 tank of gas when i frst turn my car on, as I drive the fuel guage goes up to the 1/2 or 3/4 mark. When I put my car in park or in neutral it goes back to 1/4 mark. I know something is wrong but I don't want to take it to the mechanic without having a better idea of what it is .................... any info will be much appreciated .....................

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-09, 03:48 PM
The fuel level sensor is faulty. The sensor has small metal contact that eventually wear down or burn off. Very common issue from about '97-about '06 on GM vehicles. The sensor can be replaced separately from the fuel pump assembly. You can expect to pay about 2.5 hours in labor, and I'm guessing around $120 for the part.

Old 01-26-09, 06:30 PM
Thank you Mr. Dummas for the info. At least now I have an idea of what i am dealing with.

Beer 4U2