Jumped Battery Backwards....

Old 01-27-09, 06:01 PM
Jumped Battery Backwards....

1997 Camry 115000 Auto 2.2L

OK, I admit it...I'm a moron.

Camry roof caved in about 6 months ago by a falling utility pole...(long story). Car sat in the driveway for six months. About two weeks ago I tried to start it and found the battery dead. Somehow I managed to connect the jumper cables backwards and left if that way for about 15 minutes. Guh.

Brought the dead (now killed) battery to the parts store and learned it was defective. Bought a brand spanking new one, hooked it up and tried to start the car. Starter cranked, but no ignition. I ran out of time to tinker and closed the hood.

Today, I went to try it again. The new battery is now completely discharged, offering only 200mv. Clearly something is very wrong.

What does everyone think is sucking the life out of the battery? Could the new battery be killed as well?

Thanks in advance for advice...feel free to mock me (as long as you provide something helpful to temper the shame).df

Embarrassed in SC
allenzachary

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-09, 06:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There is something drawing power.....maybe your dome light that was damaged during your pole mishap?

No need to be embarassed, I've heard alot worse then that.

Old 01-27-09, 06:16 PM
Greetings

I concur with HotinOKC. However, there maybe more damage.
Dome lights, Glove box lights, Hatch lights, Door lights will all drain a battery in no time at all. Allmost overnight.
You may have Fuseable Link damage also.

Old 01-27-09, 07:03 PM
OK...how do I isolate it?

and thanks for not laughing and pointing...I appreciate it.

Old 01-27-09, 07:26 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by allenzachary View Post
OK...how do I isolate it?

and thanks for not laughing and pointing...I appreciate it.
If the roof is caved in, what are you going to do with the car? Is it driveable? Will the doors close so the int. light will not be energized? I would just start with the easiest things to get to, and the ones closest to the damage, and with batt. hot start checking with a meter!

Better advise expected!

Old 01-27-09, 07:50 PM
Originally I planned to fix it, but the power company refused to pay for the damage. At this point, I want to get it started so I can 1) get an couple of estimates so I can take the power company to court and sue them on real value and 2) prove to a potential buyer that the car runs and is a viable fixer/parts car. I saw two Camry 2.2 motors with nearly identical mileage sell at $800 each, but I need to get mine running first.

I had started the car a couple times after the accident, so I doubt the roof damage is responsible for the drain. The doors do close well, but I can't be absolutely certain that they weren't slightly ajar after the last starting attempt.

Perhaps I'll jump the new battery and try again. This time I'll be much more careful about the polarity.

Anybody have ideas about the most likely "drain" candidates, assuming int wasn't the dome light form a slightly open door?

Thanks again....

Old 01-28-09, 06:43 AM
why bother with it ?

disconnect the battery after you've run the car then connect it next time you want to start it

Old 01-28-09, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator
I think the reverse polarity of the initial jump has probably fried some electronics. Engine control and alternator are what come to mind.

Old 01-28-09, 07:21 PM
Gunguy is dead on, probably got the diodes in the alternator. Charge the battery, it should come back, pull the alternator and have it tested, or just un hook the battery after each time you start the car.

Old 01-29-09, 08:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This is really weird and I am not sure if anyone ever heard of this possibility. I was driving an 89 Cherokee and somehow the negative and positive cables fused together resulting in a rapid drain of the battery. Frankly surprised tha tthe battery didn't explode.

Old 01-31-09, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by nightowlpunk View Post
This is really weird and I am not sure if anyone ever heard of this possibility. I was driving an 89 Cherokee and somehow the negative and positive cables fused together resulting in a rapid drain of the battery. Frankly surprised tha tthe battery didn't explode.
seen that happen from battery hold downs being broken, yes you are lucky the battery didn't blow,
and i agree on modern electronics equiped vehicles hooking the battery up backward can most likely result in a blown diode being the culprit and not just in the alternator, could be in several places the the vehicle.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Search this Thread