Malibu stutters on refill

Old 01-31-09, 04:22 AM
Malibu stutters on refill

99 Malibu 3.1L. When gas tank is newly filled, engine stutters and stammers a few minutes before running correctly. Engine otherwise fine, and was just replaced so is a fuel supply issue. New oem gas cap already! One of the many mechanics who has looked at this says someone replaced the fuel pump and left a hose disconnected, but no one else can find such an issue. About to have the rear springs and struts replaced, what do I tell this guy to look for while he is in there?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-09, 05:00 AM
OK.........Let's think the problem. If supply or return lines were disconnected, you'd have a no run with a big puddle of gas under the car. This isn't the case .
If the vent hoses were left disconnected, it really wouldn't matter if the tank was empty or full.......so I kinda discount this as a possibility
Only on fill up????.... I'd be looking at the vapor can. If the vehicle was OVERFILLED???? at some point, it may have done some damage to the charcoal in the canister????..
That's where my thinking takes me....Good luck

Old 01-31-09, 05:47 AM
it maybe wrong but is it slow to fill then maybe you have one of those foil caps inside the tank. i'm just throwing ideas out there.

Search this Thread