Jimmy Wiper Removal

Old 02-01-09, 02:12 PM
Jimmy Wiper Removal

I have a 2005 Jimmy that I need to replace the wipers on. That's the same as the 2002 Jimmy for those of you in the US. The 2005 was only made in Canada.

After lifting the wipers off the windshield, I can see a small clip lever at the end of the wiper arm, where the wiper connects, that looks like, if squeezed, the wiper should simply slide off for replacement. But it doesn't want to come off!

Is there some other trick I need to know to get these darn wipers off, or do I just need to pull harder and/or use some lubricant to free up the wipers?

TIA.

quickcurrent

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-09, 02:40 PM
If the wipers have not been changed or someone bought the whole arm then there is a possibility that a small tab holds the blade from sliding out as well as the clip. Check above the clip and see if there is a small tab stopping the wipers from sliding. If there is a tab you need to bend it up out of the way of the blade so you can remove it.

Old 02-01-09, 04:59 PM
Yes, the wipers are the originals from GM - they're up for their first replacement. I'll look for the tab then, it must be something like that that's keeping them from sliding. Thanks.

Old 02-01-09, 08:12 PM
When you have the wiper up off the windshield, try sliding the wiper blade down not up.

Old 02-01-09, 11:12 PM
Greetings

Are you replacing a refill, The blade or the entire arm?

Old 02-15-09, 07:16 AM
OK, I got it done. The wiper slides down not up! Watch your fingers when doing it so you don't pinch them, lol. What a crappy albeit simple design. The wiper arm makes a U turn at the end and the wiper slides and locks onto that U turn end. There are no tabs to break, just a fairly stiff slide downwards.

BTW, I replaced the refills. As those that have replaced the refills may know, there are three widths available - narrow, standard and wide. These wipers are just a tad narrower than standard so it's necessary to widen the hooks slightly to push the refill through - a slot screwdriver works well for this job. I usually re-use the wipers once with refills then replace them the next time around if I still own the vehicle. I find that the second time the blade refills go, the wiper is getting rusty so it's time for the wipers to go too.