manual trans flywheel

Old 02-02-09, 04:11 AM
manual trans flywheel

Hello, The flywheel on my 67 Pontiac looks like it has small cracks or check marks all around the friction surface of the flywheel. Is this something that resurfacing usually takes care of or is it time for a new flywheel? The clutch has always worked fine, but I am replacing the trans. and found this condition.
Thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-09, 04:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You've got it down, you have obvious cracks/checks, replace it now, or replace it later. I would save the effort and do it with new components.

Old 02-02-09, 10:33 AM
pretty common. check the price of a new one and compare that to resurfacing and magnafluxing the old one. the bonus with replacing is you get a brand new ring gear. replace the pilot bushing while your at it.

Old 02-02-09, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator
More importantly, since the question has been answered.....what MODEL is your '67. Please tell me its a GTO or a Firebird...mmmmmm

Old 02-02-09, 12:38 PM
1967 Firebird conv. I am going to put a tremec 5 speed trans in it.
Steve

Old 02-02-09, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
Oh..duh...you posted about the alignment thing right? Post a pic when you get it back on the road..

Old 02-03-09, 04:14 PM
I called an old and respected auto machine shop in my area today. They actually did all the machining work on my block some 17yrs ago.I explaned the problem with the flywheel and they said they see it all the time and that resurfacing usually takes care of most of the heat checks. If there are a few left after he said it's not a problem. I tend to believe this as the flywheel had some checks way back when the motor was installed and I've had no clutch problems in 17yrs. Your comments would be welcome.
Steve

Old 02-03-09, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator
Well...lets see...how much is the car worth...how much does the trans cost? A good flywheel can't be more than a $400 or so? Man things have gone up!! The resurfacing is gonna run what, maybe $50 or more? Its one thing for a granny car, but w/o Magnafluxing it, you don't truly know how bad the cracks are. And the Magnafluxing would cost what...another $75? My opinion...17 y/o flywheel?...get a quality new one.

I got a new one when I re-did my '67 GTO...and that was in '75!

I have no clue how much machining or magnafluxing would cost nowadays...but I know it can't be cheaper than 30 yrs ago...

Old 02-03-09, 04:47 PM
You've asked for advice from us and the mechanics. There's no way I would put a 17 year old flywheel back with a new tranny with a big engine. If it's a matter of economics, like the Shell Answer man.....pay me now, or pay me later.

Old 02-03-09, 05:00 PM
Spend the cash on an aluminum flywheel if they make one for your application. It makes a pretty big difference in the way the car feels & the engine revs. I've been very happy since I installed one.

Old 02-03-09, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator
Aluminum flywheels are ok...but it depends on the weight of the car, the engine, and how it's being driven. Had an aluminum flywheel in my GTO...street resonse fron a rolling start was great...but from standing starts it was a dog. Depends on the rear end ratio as well.

Old 02-04-09, 10:31 AM
My car has a almost stock 326-no high horsepower here and it is a grampa car (2 grandkids and counting) I learned a long time ago if you beat it you will be fixing it. My car is just a cruiser. I've read that alum flywheels give you faster reving but you lose some low end torque. My old trans was a 3 speed with a factory shifter and 3 gears was getting real old.I could have went with a 4 speed but I'm still 1:1 in fourth. I wanted to lower my rpms on the freeway. Don't you think if that flywheel was going to self destruct it would have by now. I'm going to take it to my local machine shop and have them look at it. They haven't steered me wrong yet.
Steve

Last edited by pumpguy; 02-04-09 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-04-09, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator
$2000 trans? And you call it a cruiser? Man...must be nice...lol

Oh...my world ends here.....Death Clock

Old 02-05-09, 03:58 AM
Originally Posted by pumpguy View Post
I've read that alum flywheels give you faster reving but you lose some low end torque.
you won't lose low end you lose inertia. we put aluminum flywheels on big blocks for drag racing but not small blocks as they seem to like the momentum off the line. the small block in a road car however benefits from the alumunum with better throttle response as the engine does not have to get the heavy flywheel turning. on the other end, an aluminum driveshaft will help both as it lowers parasitic inertia.

Old 02-05-09, 03:59 PM
Well I took the flywheel in today and they said they could resurface it and get rid of most of the heat checking. I asked what the minimum thickness is before it's scrap and they couldn't come up with a number. they said GM's are hard to find for some reason. I talked to a guy today that has been rebuilding manual transmissions for 25+ years about a new flywheel and he said you have to be real careful as there is alot of junk out there. The steel quality is all over the place he said-probably alot like brake rotors.I guess I'll wait and see if the machine shop comes up with a number and go from there. Who is making a quality flywheel these days?

Old 02-05-09, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator
Ya just have to check around...most folks say Canada or US made. I would imagine Mexico is prob pretty good as well. Most folks say avoid China made...but who knows where the raw steel actually comes from?

Old 02-05-09, 05:16 PM
"Most folks say avoid China made...but who knows where the raw steel actually comes from?"
From toys they made for my grandkids and couldn't sell.

Search this Thread