gasoline gage problem

Old 02-02-09, 01:06 PM
gasoline gage problem

I have a question, my car fuel tank was almost empty and went to fill it up, the gage marked full, but usually when I turn the car off all the gages go down but this time all of them went down but the fuel gage didn't, I continue using it and the nidle is going down but I don't know if it is the right reading, any idea what happened to the gage?
The car is a 99 Pontiac bonneville v6 automatic.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-09, 03:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It could be the gas gague sending unit which is located near the fuel pump in the gas tank.

Old 02-04-09, 01:11 PM
Is there any way that I can check that out?

Old 02-04-09, 02:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds like a short. A short will cause the gauge to peg out. I'de lean more towards wiring at the gauge or a bad connection at the sender unit. Fastest way is to have them hook up a scan tool and see of the problem is coming from the gauge or sender unit.

Old 02-04-09, 07:15 PM
Open circuit to tank sender will make the gauge peg "Overfull"
A short between gauge and sender will make it peg under empty.
What you're saying though is the gauge doesn't "park" when the car is turned off. I'd be looking at the gauge itself as the sender and wiring don't come into play until the circuit is energized: madhell:

Old 02-05-09, 03:41 AM
Got to be the gauge, like wrench said the sender and wiring do not come into play until the circuit is energized. As far as knowing if the reading is right, if you know the size of the tank you can go to the station when the gauge shows half a tank, fill it up and compare gallons pumped against tank capicity.

Old 02-23-09, 01:57 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by ccmarnaj View Post
I have a question, my car fuel tank was almost empty and went to fill it up, the gage marked full, but usually when I turn the car off all the gages go down but this time all of them went down but the fuel gage didn't, I continue using it and the nidle is going down but I don't know if it is the right reading, any idea what happened to the gage?
The car is a 99 Pontiac bonneville v6 automatic.

Thanks for your help.
If the needle is NOW going down to "O" when off, it probably is working properly. I know some won't believe this, but a tank of SHELL gas every so often will probably solve this problem. It has an additive in it to stop/lessen the shellacing/corosion of the moving parts. Try a tank full and see if it helps. Can't hurt and will only cost pennies more!