99 honda civic-hood won't open

Old 02-02-09, 08:42 PM
99 honda civic-hood won't open

The hood latch broke and I cant get the hood open.I have tried to pull the cable but the hood still wont work. How can I get the hood to open.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-09, 07:23 AM
hood latch problem

Did the cable break or just the plastic pull handle?

Old 02-03-09, 10:35 AM
I have a 96 civic and my hood wouldn't open when I pulled the handle inside. I thought it was the cable that broke, but it was actually releasing the hood, but the hood wasn't popping open that 1/2 inch to get your fingers under the hood to press the other release. What I wound up doing was after pulling the handle inside the car, now I have to really squeeze my fingers to get some sort of grip under the hood and pull up hard and quick to get the hood open that 1/2 inch. From there it works fine. I don't know how much longer I'm going to have the car so I didn't even get a quote as to how much it would cost to fix. It's a pain, now that I know what to do, I can manage.

Old 02-03-09, 12:09 PM
Your trigger mechanizm is partially seized, now that you can open it , get some WD40 and spray the part where you see the cable going in and keep moving it with a screw driver. This will probably work!

Old 02-03-09, 03:58 PM
The plastic did break,tried to pull cable but did not open(hood),it came out a few inches.I then undid a few bolts of bumper under car and stuck arm up there.I was able to pull the cable where it went into black plastic case.It comes down a few inches but hood does not pop up. Will try dw40 spray.The hood is NOT open so any ideas are welcome