Ran out of gas, now won't start

Old 02-03-09, 01:20 PM
Ran out of gas, now won't start

Car: 1999 Ford Explorer

Ran out of gas. Put in gas from gas can. Drove to station. Filled car. Drove home. Car sat overnight. Now it won't start. Have power. Starter turns over just fine. Any suggestions before I have it towed in? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-09, 01:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do you hear a couple clicks when trying to turn it over? If not your fuel pump may be shot and that is in the gas tank.

Old 02-03-09, 01:37 PM
Don't recall any unusual sounds. I'm at work and can't check now. I'll have to get back to you.

Old 02-03-09, 04:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Running out of gas can fry a fuel pump as the fuel keeps it cool. When you get in, leave the door open and turn the switch to "on", not start. You should hear the fuel pump activate for a second or two. If you don't, block the wheels and tap on the bottom of the fuel tank a few times with a rubber mallet. Sometimes crud gets in the pump and needs dislodging. Let us know what you find out.

Old 02-09-09, 08:57 AM
We had the car towed in and guess what -- it started when we got to the shop. Seemed there was gunk in either the fule filter or the fuel line, ahd the bouncing around losened it. We had the filter replaced and the injectors cleaned. Everything seems fine now. Thanks for your help.