GM Brake Issue

Old 02-03-09, 06:27 PM
GM Brake Issue

so i am not exactly sure what is going on... but in my parents 90 Buick Park Ave, when you press on the brake pedal, you have a bit of free play in the pedal (which is most likely normal) but then the brake pedal feels like you hit a wall... and you have to press it very hard before the car begins to slow down...the pedal is almost to the floor before the car begins to want to stop...

not sure if it is a leak since the pedal doesn't go to the floor or lose pressure very easily... but it seems like there may be a blockage in one of the lines??? i took the cap off of the brake reservoir and pumped the brakes with the engine on and still hard???

could it be a vacuum issue???

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-09, 06:37 PM
Greetings

Sounds too me like a bad Vacum brake booster.

Old 02-03-09, 06:50 PM
i think you are right... i went out and pumped the brakes with the car off... held the brake pedal and started the car and the pedal didn't even move... so i think there is zero vacuum...

does anyone know if the black canister on the side of the master cylinder reservoir is the brake booster???

Old 02-03-09, 06:59 PM
Greetings again

The round black canister between the master cylinder and the firewall is the booster. Pull the hose off while the car is running
to see if you have vacum. If you do, the booster is bad.

Old 02-06-09, 01:54 PM
you have 2 options if you need to replace the booster:
1. replace the diaphragm. saved money.
2. replace the booster. on some cars you can pull it out without disconnecting the master. on some, you can't, so you'll need a set of a VERY good quality open end box wrenches, as brake line nuts strip oh so easy. every time I did those, I ended with using visegrips.
beware!!! you must set booster pin or rod, whatever is the name, one that goes into the master, to exactly the right height. don't repeat my mistake, when I assumed it came out of factory correctly preset, and got dragging brakes, just to realize that was the culprit - after I paid for new calipers and brake lines.