warranty question on Toyota oil seal

Old 02-06-09, 06:45 PM
warranty question on Toyota oil seal

Bought my 2004 Tacoma in 2005 new 2.4l engine. I think it has a 3 year 36 k bumper to bumper and a 5year 60k powertrain. I now have 26k on it so the bumper to bumper is gone.
Oil has always been changed by dealer since I have coupons today he pointed out the rear oil seal has a leak as well as the pan gasket.(not a big leak but a leak).
Do you think that a rear oil seal is a powertrain warranty item?
I am talking the engine rear oil seal not the rearend axle seals.

Last edited by michael van; 02-06-09 at 06:47 PM. Reason: forgot
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-09, 06:58 PM
Group Moderator
Interesting question; it's most assuredly a part of the power train. Somehow I have a feeling that somewhere in the fine print there may be an exclusion for seals/leaks or it may specifiy mechanical parts. Fine print aside, if it was me I would expect it to be fixed; you've certainly showed your loyalty to them.

Old 02-06-09, 07:26 PM
big bucks

Yes I took the truck off the lot on 11-12-04 that falls within the 5 year window. They want 905.92 for the rear oil seal R&R and 330.00 to reseal the oil pan.
Upon some more reading of what is covered under warranty in the Toyotas owners warranty information I see that powertrain is 60 months or 60k miles.It also says in black and white under engine covered parts seals and gaskets.

Last edited by michael van; 02-06-09 at 07:41 PM. Reason: add on
Old 02-06-09, 07:43 PM
They are saying no?

The engine and everything that puts the power to the ground is the power train. I know in those contracts there are exclusions like clutch wear for instance, but the leaking oil seals seems to fall under the general idea of the coverage unless specifically excluded.

I had a leaking wheel seal that was covered (sort of) from Ford under a similar contract. Ford fixed it after they charged back my deductible. I always thought I should have just fixed it myself.

Old 02-06-09, 07:55 PM
have not cofronted them yet

I have not confronted them yet. I did not think about it till after I left getting my oil changed. The kid doing the oil change brought it to my attention and he also documented it on this piece of paper called the recommended action plan.
It is just a check list with things I need done like change airfilter,wiper blades etc then he asks me if I want them to do it at that point I decline.
I need to take this piece of paper the tech wrote up and go to the service manager to get the ball rolling.
But I have the ammo now with it in black and white and a piece of paper that says they recommend it.

Old 02-06-09, 08:05 PM
With that in mind, I would be surprised if you have any trouble at all.

Old 02-07-09, 06:17 AM
Group Moderator
Or if the leak magically disappears.

Old 02-07-09, 07:00 AM
wont disappear

I dont think it will disappear because the guy took me back there and showed me the leak. He pulled back a rubber seal between the engine and gear box and it was wet.
They can try to wipe it down and spray it off but I for one will keep an eye on it after the repair.
If they fix it under warranty Toyota will pay if not they will get nothing as I would live with it till a clutch change.

Old 02-07-09, 01:16 PM
update

Went to dealer with all my info in hand not a bit of a problem they are going to replace oil pan gasket and engine oil seal under warranty. If they would have given me any problem it might have got ugly

Old 02-08-09, 07:01 AM
Group Moderator
I didn't really think they would give you any trouble. In today's automotive business world no dealer in their right mind is going to p.o. a good customer over a $1k repair.