1998 chevy tahoe doesn't start in cold weather

Old 02-07-09, 04:20 PM
1998 chevy tahoe doesn't start in cold weather

Hi i have a 1998 chevy tahoe it doesn't want to start in cold weather. when it's under 20 degrees i have to start it every three hours or it won't start in the morning or anytime of the day. seems if i let it sit cold for more than 5 to 6 hours i have the problem. in warmer weather starts fine. also once warmed up it starts fine. I have run fuel injecter cleaner through the last two gas fillups.

Last edited by bobde112; 02-07-09 at 04:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-09, 06:10 PM
About 3/4 of the time the problem is with your engine temp sensor for the computer. It will usually throw a code for the fault.

They run about $30.00 and are DIY doable.

Old 02-08-09, 07:26 AM
There is a good chance that it's your fuel pump. It looses it's prime after sitting awhile and it can't get enough fuel pressure while cranking. It takes more fuel press to start those Vortecs than it does to keep the engine running.

Old 02-08-09, 11:28 AM
Stingray hit it dead on, i have been working on a 3500hd with a Vortec 6.0 in it, having the same trouble you are. Talked to the guys at the GM shop and they all said fuel pump. Next time it wont start put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what it tells you. They also said maybe you could hit the bottom of the fuel tank with a rubber hammer, and it might jar the pump awake.

Old 02-09-09, 06:37 PM
thank you very much guys i apprecitae the help very much so, bob