Cavalier a/c clutch rivits

Old 02-07-09, 11:00 AM
Cavalier a/c clutch rivits

I have same year ('91) with a 4 and 80k. Parts guy noticed a sound from mine said the rivets on the a/c clutch are loosening(common for cavaliers) should I nip this one in the bud and is it a do it your selfer?

[Moderator note: Moved this to a new thread]

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 02-08-09 at 06:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-09, 06:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are they a cherry max rivit or solid rivet?

Cherry max's look like this before being shot in:

and the tool to install these is this:

Pretty easy stuff. You just have to drill out the center of the rivit head and punch it out.

Old 02-08-09, 01:55 PM
Thank you for quick reply. My thread should say 2000 Cavalier. Is this a common problem which deserves its own thread? I am curious about protocol.
Cant see rivets will have to get a mirror and lots of light. Looks like the alternator will have to come out and a bracket or two. The clutch is about 1-2 inches from frame. Maybe there is a smaller rivet tool, but doubt it. Do you know a good online shop manual which would show whole procedure. Every time I buy a shop manual, I end up selling the car for one reason or another. Very much like the feedback. Take your time, no hurry.

Last edited by squeakyhinge; 02-08-09 at 01:58 PM. Reason: didnt really answer question
Old 02-08-09, 01:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hi!

A good online place is alldatadiy.com

Very good source of repair information there.

Old 02-08-09, 04:51 PM
Special tools are required to remove the AC clutch. If your clutch is making noise, you can take this tool and back the clutch off to rid the noise. If the clutch is too far gone, worn out, you should replace it. You can get to it from the passenger front wheel area once you remove the wheel, splash shield, and slide the PCM out of the way. There is also a specified clearance spec for between the clutch and hub.