1987 Volkswagen Cabriolet, out of gas

Old 02-08-09, 08:26 AM
1987 Volkswagen Cabriolet, out of gas

Ok so I emailed a lady regarding a 1987 cabriolet, I asked her why it wasnt running and she said that it was taken in for a clutch replacement and the guy who was fixing it ran it out of gas. She said they put some gasoline in it and drove it home all fine. But when she went out later to go somewhere it wouldnt start.

Im interested in buying this from her and I just want to know what you guys think it could be, and what I should bring if I go there and try to get it running to drive it home? (fuses, starting fluid, gas etc etc)

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-09, 12:20 PM
my thoughts

My thoughts are a fuel pump went south. Running out of gas can destroy a pump because the pump is not cooled or lubricated. It might have blown the fuel pump fuse so check that first. I would bring a can of starter fluid and shoot a blast down the intake and see if it runs for a few seconds.
I think your VW has two pumps one is in the tank.

Old 02-08-09, 07:04 PM
Well bassically having the fuel pressure tested to be for certain that it is the pump but i would have to aggree it is the issue because they also can suck up any gunk that has been in the bottom of the tank. Also its the repair shop that is liable and they should be responsible for the problem assuming it is fuel delivery related

Old 02-09-09, 04:28 AM
Group Moderator
You could make an arguement about the fuel in the tank and who's liable. Obviously the lady ran the level right down to the vapors before it got to the garage or the mechanic wouldn't have run out.

Old 02-09-09, 04:36 PM
Thumbs up Fuel pump

FIRST OFF IS IT FUEL INJECTED ? IF SO WHAT KIND,I CANT REMEMBER IF 87 STILL WAS C.S.I. OR WENT TO MOTRONIC BY THEN, BUT IF ITS CARBURATION ITS PROB. FILTER GUNKED UP MAYBE PUMP BUT I WOULD CHECK THE FILTERS FIRST. IF IT IS F/I THERE WILL BE 2 PUMPS ON IT ONE IN THE TANK THE OTHER UNDER CAR BY PASS. REAR SEAT. THERE COULD BE OTHER PROBLEMS ALSO SUCH AS FUEL PRESS,PLUGGED RETURN LINES,FUEL PUMP NOT WORKING AT ALL OR SPERADICLY.IF YOU GIVE THE INFO REQUIRED I CAN HELP.Beer 4U2

Old 02-09-09, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator
I could swear there was a post that said it was just clogged filter..and it was fine now...am I losing it??

Old 02-09-09, 08:33 PM
Group Moderator
Moderators note to posters: Please turn caps lock off when posting.

Old 02-10-09, 06:02 PM
Well i dont know if its FI or carb because im looking at buying it, and my question is what should I bring with me to try and get it started if it will like starter fluid, wd40, fuses, or anything else