1997 Camry lights problem

Old 02-09-09, 06:47 PM
1997 Camry lights problem

Hi everyone,
I have a 1997 Toyota Camry, 2.2 liter, 4 cylinder, automatic, with 110,000 miles. I have 2 different light problems. The first is with the reverse lights. When I put the shifter in the reverse position it burns out a fuse and the reverse lights stop working (this fuse also controls the alternator). I have found that if I shift through reverse position very fast it does not burn the fuse. My second problem is with the taillights. Every time I turn my lights on they light up for a few seconds, and then another fuse buns out and the lights die. The brake lights as well as the headlights still work, and no bulbs are burned out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-09, 07:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Start tracing wires. Somewhere you have wires with cut insulation shorting out. Start at the sockets and work your way toward the switches.

Old 02-09-09, 08:49 PM
short in either the taillight circut or the backup light circut, start disconnecting the plugs to the lights until you find the one that blows the fuse then trace that set of wires carefully from the fuse to the socket, you can wire in a 10amp breaker to test the circut to prevent having to replace the fuse each time you test a circut but don't try to just replace the fuse with a breaker or you will smoke test the wiring harness. just listen to the breaker tripping and keep unplugging circuts untill it quits tripping. then examine that circut carefully for broken or stripped insullation.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 02-13-09, 08:46 PM
It sounds like more than one wire has been pinched under a metal component or between the sheet metal. I don't think it's a coincidence. A rear end accident, trailer hitch install, large loose object in the trunk, sound system install, removal and reinstalling of seats are all things that could provoke something like what you have.

Old 02-15-09, 12:22 AM
Thank you so much to all who replied. It turned out to be 2 broken/stripped wires in the trunk that were shorting each other out from a bad trailer hitch install. Again, thank you guys for all your help. Beer 4U2