Auto recyclers

Old 02-11-09, 11:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Auto recyclers

A couple of years ago, I was pulling a radiator fan off of a VW Jetta at an auto recycling center (When can we stop this stupid political correctness) (i'm 6'5" so am I vertically unchallenged instead of tall?). In order to do this, it is much easier to disconnect the upper radiator hose. About a pint or so of coolant hit the ground in between taking off the hose and bending it so it was facing up. I told the people at the desk this and they had a hissy fit about some coolant leaking. So, I was wondering why these places didn't drain non-essential, but environmentally hazardous fluids upon recieving cars that enter the food chain, such as coolant and gasoline. Its not likely these cars will overheat if they just stay parked.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-09, 03:11 PM
Cost is a main thing. To have them purge the fluids and dispose of them legally could cost a fortune.

That's why you take a bucket or two with you.

Old 02-11-09, 03:25 PM
Interesting. Now does this mean you also own any fluid you collect in your bucket? It's been a long time since I visited a junk yard.

Old 02-11-09, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator
Most big recyclers (and I don't mind the name...cause thats what they do now) drain all fluids out of incoming vehicles. They don't have unlimited land and no EPA like they used to.

Old 02-11-09, 05:03 PM
Some of these fluids also serve as lubrication or corrosion preventative.....not really sure though.

Old 02-11-09, 05:24 PM
Just think of the price of r12 freon and how much of it is in the junkyards

Old 02-12-09, 02:14 PM
My Jetta had R134a and to remove the bad fan I had to disconnect the A/C hose or according to the Haynes manual, pull the fenders, bumper, and grille. Gee, which is easier?LOL

Old 02-12-09, 02:57 PM
I have done radiators on these cars. They have to be one of the worst to do,but I didn't have to take the nose off the car. You can take off the crossbar underneath that the radiator sits on.

Old 02-12-09, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by RIDavid View Post
I have done radiators on these cars. They have to be one of the worst to do,but I didn't have to take the nose off the car. You can take off the crossbar underneath that the radiator sits on.
a fellow rhode islander. Hi.