Windshield wiper issues

Old 02-16-09, 05:15 AM
Windshield wiper issues

I own a 2002 Buick century custom. My wipers when shut off stay in an upright position instead of returning to the home position. I was curious what needs to be done and can i do it myself?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-09, 07:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the Forums!

This is typical of a failed/failing wiper motor. It is usually located under the black plastic bezel in front of your windshield.

Old 02-16-09, 07:28 PM
this is mostly caused by a bad wiper clutch, very common on these body styles, this is what controls the parking of the wipers

Old 02-16-09, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Gmtech425 View Post
this is mostly caused by a bad wiper clutch, very common on these body styles, this is what controls the parking of the wipers

That's also call a park arm and crank arm. Sometimes there is also a little metal tab on the wiper frame that the crank arm need to contact that gets bent out of the way.

Old 02-17-09, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post

That's also call a park arm and crank arm. Sometimes there is also a little metal tab on the wiper frame that the crank arm need to contact that gets bent out of the way.
Yup, crank arm. The tab on the frame can be bent back if it's not too far gone. Sometimes they get worn down and require the frame to be replaced. I've replaced my fair share of them.

Search this Thread